RHINO 6 WIP with eGPU

Blank viewports (no CPlanes) if eGPU is plugged in before initializing Rhino v6 WIP. Version 5.5.1 works fine.

Here’s what it looks like:

If I disconnect the eGPU, start v6 WIP, open a model, then plug in the eGPU, it works correctly… although oddly slow for an 8gb Radeon Vega 64 GPU.

The eGPU monitor is set to be my main display.

Also, changing the display style of the viewports does nothing, and if I create geometry it doesn’t show up.

how do you like using an eGPU?

Haven’t tried it with anything else yet, so I’m unsure at this point. Also, since Apple doesn’t support it in Bootcamp, I’m not sure it’s worth it yet.

When trying to open an existing .3dm files with the eGPU running, Rhino v6 WIP just spins the beachball forever. The model never opens. In the Force Quit dialog, Rhino does NOT show up as “not responding”.

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #6

I thought Apple doesn’t support eGPU at all, not just in Bootcamp?

in High Sierra and beyond, they support it at the OS level.

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #8

Ah, maybe it was the CUDA bit that was not supported.

I stand corrected.

Anyway, I don’t think we have devs that have such a setup, maybe @dan knows more if we do or not.

You are correct about CUDA. So this is the best I can get at this point :wink:

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #10

@Evan_Troxel I’d be interested to hear what the command RhinoCycles_ListDevices gives you, and whether you can select and use your Vega as render device in Preferences > Cycles. Switching to Raytraced for the first time with your Vega as render device can take a while since the kernels will be compiled. Need to be patient there :slight_smile:

edit: btw, for this to work with Cycles/Raytraced your eGPU needs to be plugged in before Rhino is started. Initialisation of device lists is only done once at startup.

The entire Rhino interface gives virtually no feedback when the eGPU is connected (I can click all the buttons in the interface but they don’t execute anything it appears), so the ‘RhinoCycles_ListDevices’ command doesn’t do anything. And… It also doesn’t do anything when the eGPU is not connected that I can tell. Does it do anything for you?

If Rhino is opened after the eGPU is running as you said, I can still open the preferences. The Vega does show up in there, and I can select it, but it doesn’t change anything about being able to see the model in any of the viewports. They are blank just like the first screenshot I posted.

(jesterKing) #12

Output of this command will be in the command history. But I guess it showing up on Preferences tells me Cycles can see it. Too bad the viewports don’t work. Do they work when the eGPU is not set as display/primary adapter?

Sorry, I didn’t know where to look besides the status bar at the bottom, so I opened the window you mentioned and it’s there!

The viewports only work if the eGPU is unplugged when starting v6.

Version 5 seems to ignore the eGPU altogether, so it starts up as expected but I don’t get the benefits of it.

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #14

@dan and @marlin probably know more about this.

(Dan Belcher) #16

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about eGPUs with regard to Rhino for Mac. As far as I know, we don’t have one in the McNeel office to test this.