Rhino 6 dimensions disappear - Parallels and VMware

Hi,
I have a problem with dimensioning. It’s just invisible.
I work on a Mac. I used parallels. Here, in addition, colors are skipping. Work is not possible. We also changed to VMware, but it does not give anything. The colors are stable. Dimensioning still does not work.
The program has stopped seeing dimensions after switching to the RH6 version of the RH5 version.
Please help. We can not work.
Magda

Hi Magda - please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result here. Thanks!

Rhino 6 SR14 2019-5-7 (Rhino 6, 6.14.19127.17141, Git hash:master @ 5b633aaa430941b76f5789a0ce3bb670ce06947a)

License type: Komercyjna, build 2019-05-07

License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Magda ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 2Gb)

Machine name: DESKTOP-QQDCFVN

Non-hybrid graphics.

Primary display and OpenGL: Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) (Unknown) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 3-12-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 2.1 ATI-2.9.26

OpenGL Settings

Safe mode: Off

Use accelerated hardware modes: On

Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x

Mip Map Filtering: Linear

Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Parallels and ATI Technologies Inc.

Render version: 2.1

Shading Language: 1.20

Driver Date: 3-15-2019

Driver Version: 25.20.14020.10001

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384

Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits

Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Total Video Memory: 2 GB

Rhino plugins

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.14.19127.17141

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.14.19127.17141

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”

C:\Program Files\RhinoGoldRhino6\System\RhinoGold.rhp “RhinoGold” 6.6.18323.1

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.14.19127.17141

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.14.19127.17141

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I’m also helping Magda with this issue (as a reseller). Windows is installed under Boot Camp and dims do display correctly when we run from there.

Is there a setting or a test command that would allow for v5-style Text properties?

Hi - for starters, I notice that the SystemInfo above shows that Parallels is used. While we don’t support either Parallels nor VMware, I would stay with VMware Fusion because it supports a higher level of OpenGL features than Parallels.

Primary display and OpenGL: Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) (Unknown) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 3-12-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 2.1 ATI-2.9.26

If you run that command again under VMware, hopefully, the OpenGL version that is reported is higher than 2.1.

As for things to try - you could see if turning off GPU Tessellation makes a difference.
If that fails, AND VMware reports to support OpenGL 3.3, you could try capping Rhino calls to OpenGL functions at level 2.1 by running TestGlLevelCap 21.

Note that this command was added to Service Release 15, which is available as an SR Candidate - you will have to change the Update frequency in Rhino Options > Updates and Statistics to automatically download an SR 15 version. After running the command, you need to restart Rhino.

1 Like

From the System Requirements:
https://www.rhino3d.com/6/system_requirements

The primary reason is a spotty OpenGL support.

GPU Tessellation and TestGLLevelCap will have no effect on display of text under these virtualization environments. I did make changes to text recently that should help. Please try the latest service release candidate.

1 Like

Changes in SRC15 do solve the problem for VMware. Thank you.