Rhino 5 won't work after downgrade from Rhino 8

Hey all,
I recently bought, reconsidered and returned (for budget reasons) rhino 8.

Now after I reinstalled 5.5.5 and entered my license key, Rhino will crash right after I click ‘new document’.

MacBook Pro system info
Monterey 12.7.2
2,6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB
Radeon Pro 450 2 GB
Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB

It used to work fine on this system

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,
Vincent de Vries

Hey Vincent -
Have you tried resetting the preferences?
Rhino for Mac - Preferences [McNeel Wiki]
-wim

The MacOS is too new, the recommended OS for Rhino 5 mac is 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Hey Wim,
Thank you for your reply. elas that didn’t quite work. But I see japhe’s response about the operating system. this may be it.

Thanks Japhy, I will try an earlier system.

Hi Japhy,
It appears using an older system wasn’t necessary. I was lucky to find a Time Machine backup from last december with the Monterey system on which rhino 5.5.5 still works.

To be honest, for me it would have been more helpful, if McNeel could more precisely describe which (preference, caching, plist, etc) files in the system needed to be placed back after using the online rhino 5.5.5. installer and not immediately refer to the list of recommended systems.

Kind regards,
Vincent

Is that the issue though? Updating MacOS is going to break the legacy versions a variety of ways, hence not supported (no more revisions to Rhino Mac 5.x).

Great to hear you got it going and that its working for you.

What MacOS was successful (in case others want to know)?

Hi Japhy,
Thank you for your response.

The strange is that de installer didn’t seem to work but the version that’s been on my computer since 2015 - that I now placed back via a time machine backup - does. That’s why I felt it was strange that it didn’t work anymore after I reinstalled it via the online installer at rhino3d.com

The system it’s now on is macOS Monterey version 12.7.4

Could it be that the online installer has a bug?