Rhino 5.5 RC2 Now Available

(Brian Gillespie) #1

Rhino 5.5 Release Candidate 2 is now available to subscribers of Service Release Candidate downloads, or for immediate download.

To subscribe to Service Release Candidate downloads:

1. From the Help menu in Rhino, click Check for Updates
  2. In the Update Frequency drop-down, select Service Release Candidates

5.5? What exactly does it mean?

http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino/5.0/sr/rc/changes

I mean, 5.5 - Since when there are dot updates?

(Brian Gillespie) #5

Hi Ricardo,

5.5 is SR5. We’ve been using the minor version number to indicate service release level in Rhino 5. So 5.4.* are builds of Rhino 5 SR4.

The version numbers have lots of good information in them, should you want to glean it:

A.B.YMMDD.hhmmb
where
A = major version
B = service release (minor version)
Y = 2010 - release year (so if Y = 3, the release year is 2013)
MM = release month (01 - 12)
DD = release day (01 - 31)
hh = release hour (00-23)
mm = release minute (00-59)
b = branch (used mostly internally to differentiate public release code streams from development streams. 5 is a release stream)

Maybe I’m over-sharing…

ok, got it now.

I’m curious: I go to help and check for updates, it says “This Rhino is up to date.” But then I click on “check now” and the website tells me there’s a new release, 5.5. So, question is… why does Rhino tell me I’m up-to-date when I’m clearly not?

(Brian Gillespie) #8

Because it only checks daily. Rhino doesn’t sit there pinging our site every 10 seconds hoping an update arrives.

That “Check now” button bypasses the whole timing mechanism and gives you a direct link.

Got it. I guess then there’s not an easy way to make it ping it when you open that page? I had just assumed that’s how it worked.

(Brian Gillespie) #10

I wanted it to work the way you describe, but it didn’t happen, sadly. I agree it would be awesome if it did.

Wow! New release every few minutes!

(Brian Gillespie) #12

At best we get a new build every 6-8 hours!