Rhino 5.0 and 7.0 both installed. Files automatically open in Rhino 7.0. How to use 5.0?

Both Rhino 7 and Rhino 5 are installed. System is Win 10. If I select a 3dm file on my hard drive using Windows Explorer, and click on it, it will automatically open in Rhino 7.

Most of these are old files originally created using Rhino 5 and the Bongo plug in that is installed on it. I still use that Bongo – have not yet installed it on Win 7.

How do I bypass the system’s automatic choice of Rhino 7 and open files in Rhino 5 instead?

Thank you for your insights. Michael

Instead of left-clicking the desired file in Windows Explorer, right-click it and choose Rhino 5 if it’s shown or “Open with” and go through the choices to get to Rhino 5. After you’ve chosen Rhino 5 for a 3dm file once it should show as one of the immediately available choices when you right click on a .3dm file.

Edit: Let me straighten out the explanation now that I’ve actually tried it to refresh my memory. The default program for opening .3dm files will be shown at the top of the window that opens with the right click. That would be Rhinoceros 7. When you get to “Open with” Rhinoceros 5 may or may not be shown. If it is, click it. If it isn’t click “Choose another app”. You may then see Rhino 5 or you may need to click on “More Apps” to get to Rhino 5. The remark about 5 becoming a more readily available choice after the first time you’ve used it still applies.

Alternative method:
Start Rhino 5. Rhino can be started without openning a file.
Under File click Open. Select the file you would like to open in Rhino 5.

If a .3dm file has been saved as a V7 format file then you will need to open it in Rhino 7 and SaveAs in V5 format file before openning in Rhino 5…

Windows has no way to know what version of Rhino was used to create or edit a file. The most recently installed Rhino; in this case V7, tells Windows that it “owns” 3dm files. This is called File Association.
As David says, the best way to control which Rhino is used, is to start the Rhino you want to use, then open the file.

Here’s a small utility, RhinoFeeder, I wrote that handles this:
RhinoFeeder.zip (4.3 MB)

Unzip the files into a folder, then change the file association for .3dm files to point to RhinoFeeder.exe instead of Rhino. Then when you double click on a 3dm file, the utility will open it, see which version of Rhino created it and run the correct version.

There is an ini file that controls the associations between file versions and executables which you can edit to alter what happens (the default opens Rhino 6 files in Rhino 6, but in your case you might want them to open in Rhino 7).

If you want to uninstall the utility just change the file association back to Rhino.exe and delete the RhinoFeeder folder - the are no registry settings to worry about.

HTH
Jeremy

1 Like

Many thanks for explaining these excellent options. I began with AIW’s approach and then googled for a method of changing the default application.

Here is what I learned. First right click the 3dm file and then, instead of immediately picking Rhino 5, select instead “choose another app”. Win 10 then offers the range of Rhino’s, and you can pick Rhino 5. But below this list it has a check box that says “always use this app.”

By checking the box, you can revert to Rhino 5 as a default. This is a temporary convenience since my Bongo project, which involves several files, is resident in Rhino 5. It is a long term effort with many 3dm files, and Windows Explorer displays all of them since the beginning. Poking around in this old folder, it is handy to have Rhino 5 set as the default.

Many thanks for all your help. Michael

Types is a file type manager for Windows that allows you to edit program associations, icons, context menus and a few other things.

in windows 10 this works also

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
;;;template for opening 3dm files with context submenus

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Rhino6.Document\shell\Open]
@="Open with Rhino &6"
"FriendlyAppName"="Rhino 6"
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files\\Rhino 6\\System\\Rhino.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Rhino6.Document\shell\Open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Rhino 6\\System\\Rhino.exe\" /scheme=<name> /nosplash \"%1\""
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;;
;;here the trick

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Rhino6.Document\shell\Rhinoceros]
"MUIVerb"="Open with Rhino:"
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files\\Rhino 6\\System\\Rhino.exe,0"
"Position"="Top "
"ExtendedSubCommandsKey"=""
"Subcommands"=""

;;;;;;;;;;;
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Rhino6.Document\shell\Rhinoceros\shell\Rhino7]