Revit Crashing after Building RiR dll

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone might be able to give me some insight into an issue I am having with the Rhino7 WIP and Revit.

So far I have followed the instructions on how to build the .dll but am running into an issue when launching Revit after the solution is built. Basically Revit launches, the little Rhino popup appears and Revit crashes shortly after. If I clean or remove the .dll Revit launches perfectly.

So far I have tested this on 2 different machine types, a VDI running Win7 and a desktop running Win8. Both machines I have tested Revit 2017, 2018 and 2019 with multiple versions of .Net (4.6.2, 4.7.0, 4.7.1, 4.7.2) on each machine, doing a clean prior to rebuilding each time. The Rhino7 WIP launches with no issues as well.

I’m hoping someone would have some advice or thoughts on something I may be missing when trying to get this to work.

Thanks,

~ Chris

Hi Chris,

Could you please tell me the Revit version and the Rhino WIP version are you using in order to try to reproduce it here?

Also can you check the Rhino plugins you have installed and try what you are currently doing after load protecting all the pluguins that not come with Rhino?

Do you have any Revit addon installed?

Hi Kike,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was traveling last week, please see the information below.
Plugins will remain constant across revit builds and are part of our standard Revit Image

RhinoWip Build 7.0.18273.20055, 9/30/2018
No extra plugins installed currently for the WIP

Revit 2018.3.1.2

1. Site Designer
  2. Revit Express tools
  3. e-Specs
  4. Unifi
  5. Bluebeam
  6. Dynamo

Thanks,

~ Chris

I am having the same issue as well. Any help would be amazing!

Hi,

I develop RhinoInside.Revit using a Revit 2019 license.
I’m trying to reproduce your setup, Same Revit version with same addons.
Would help if @andy.watts can share his configuration, Revit version and addons list.
This way I will start installing the common components on both lists.

One thing than would help me is if any of you can uninstall each addon one by one and try if Rhino loads inside Revit on each step.
To make the uninstall process less painful I would suggest to search for *.addon files in your hard drive and rename them to *.addon_disabled for instance.
This way Revit will not load them. Once you do the testing you can rename those files back to .addon.

Meanwhile I will try to achieve a Revit 2018.

Thanks for getting back to me
I will try this in the next few days and let you know

Sorry for the delayed response, was traveling for about 2 weeks with conferences and holidays. I will try your suggestion as well as try on revit 2019 in the coming days.

Thank you!

I found a tool that could help testing if there is an incompatibility between two Revit plugins, it’s free and open source.

It allows you to disable all but one plugin easily and test if it works.
If it works alone then you can enable more plugins and test again until found if two plugins are not compatible.

To download and install please follow instructions found here:

1. Download the tool from Bitbucket here.
  2. Find where you downloaded the zip file and unzip it.
  3. When unzipped, there will be a BIN folder; browse into the BIN folder then the Debug sub-folder.
  4. Run the tool by double-clicking on the exe file.
  5. In the window that opens, pick your version of Revit (or go with all if you like).
  6. The data grid will update to display all of the machine wide and the logged in user specific add-ins installed. You can pick and choose, invert, select all, then simply click on the “Enable/Disable” button to either enable or disable the selected add-ins.
  7. Once you’ve made your choices, start Revit in the normal manner. Simple and easy.

Or download it from here.