Request live-sync for 3ds max

Hello everyone I know Rhino 8 will be published soon and just for once and last time try to describe a problem that I know lots of people experiencing everyday and if you search there’s a lots of topic around the internet about it but you cant find the answer in all of them unfortunately

I’m using Rhino for mostly architectural design in past 9 years and it’s the best,
And everyone in this industry know best software for rendering and using vray / corona is autodesk 3ds max.
But unfortunately there’s no correct way or solution to exporting 3d model from Rhino to 3ds max

1. You can export entire 3d model as FBX and then importing in 3ds max but you can’t edit the model anymore,unless you delete it and do it over again (you lost materials and ….)

2.you can use linkfbx option in 3ds max but you lose hierarchy (no layer,no group,…) and it’s almost impossible to define material to object for big scene

1. You can find plugin in internet like mirza,… but honestly it doesn’t work

As an Architect I use a lots of grasshopper but imagine exporting big scene as FBX mesh and then try importing to 3ds max and then if you want change a bit…… it’s a disaster

And I also know there is a official Plugin livesync from Rhino to keyshot and Lumion
But there’s no livesync or something similar for 3ds max!

I’m sure the average user that using 3ds max is more than both keyshot and lumion combined
But there is no official solution for that!

Can somebody in company could tell us is there any chance you guy’s consider to solve this problem or not?

I will be appreciate a true and clear answer from somebody in charge
Thanks.

2 Likes

The ‘live’ connectors are typically developed by the 3rd party software, such as TwinMotion, Lumion, Enscape, …

There is a ongoing Rhino.Inside.3DMax project here (not McNeel) RhinoInside.3dsMax | Food4Rhino

We are working on increased support of the universal formats (USD, gltf,…)

Dear McNeel Team,

I’m reaching out to suggest adding direct export support for .MAX files in Rhino. Current export options often result in smoothing group and element issues when importing into 3ds Max, causing workflow inefficiencies. Direct .MAX export would streamline workflows and ensure data fidelity between Rhino and 3ds Max, benefiting users and improving collaboration.

Thank you for considering this enhancement.

.max file format

It’s proprietary, which means McNeel will not be able to write an importer/exporter, even if they wanted to.

Some years ago I posted the opposite in the Autodesk 3ds max wishlist forum : they should implement Rhino .3dm support, since it is open source, but I lost my interest in max since then.