Rendered and Raytraced do something strange with colors, example

Hi guys (@jeff and @stevebaer )

I am testing Beta and see that there is some bad banding going on still. Making both Raytraced and Rendered look bad. The strange thing is that if I make a rendering of that view and then place that rendering as a picture in topview wireframed it looks great. But if I switch to Rendered mode then the rendered image looks bad too.

So in short: It appears that Wireframe mode can show more bits of color than Rendered and Raytraced.

Here you can see the results, I captioned the different views so you can understand which is what.

Just to be clear (since it wasn’t obvious from the layout)
The top left and bottom right are of the placed image.
Top right and bottom left are views of the 3D model.

(Shaded, Xray and Ghosted can show the image at full color depth too)

1 Like

When switching to the rhino 8 wip a few weeks back, I initially thought that colors in rendering look blown out or somewhat like overexposed. I didn’t do no A/B testing with rhino 7/8 and I though the newer cycles engine is simply a bit different. I adapted my lighting intensity settings.

Like you suggested, this does indeed look like there is a problem with color depth.

I would like to give this a bump.

Any feedback from the devs regarding this would be highly appreciated. Cycles rendering is currently the most important aspect of RH8 to me. Like I had stated in my previous post, I had the feeling that something is strange with the colors in RH8 from the moment I started using it. @Holo s tests indicate that there is indeed something wrong.

Would you please let us know if…

• you can repeat this or not
  • this is simply the new cycles implementation behaving differently, or
  • this is a bug and
  • so, when it will be addressed