Remove group from group? possible?

example:

when several object groups are grouped within another group, how can I get the group out of there without ungrouping everything, or selecting all geometry one by one?

I would love to have a command: “remove group from group”

does something like that exist?

thnx,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Use RemoveFromGroup and then within the command use Select by group name,
snap01 2-23-2020 (’_SelGroup)
choose group to remove, OK completes command

1 Like

thanks Fred, that actually works, but not in my case as I don’t work with group names… I would need to select it via the viewport.
:thinking:

hmmm- That seems like a hard one to solve since objects can be members of any number of groups.I don’t know how to get there cleanly without using names.

-Pascal

Select
Ungroup (shift-ctrl-g)
Ctrl-unselect the group you want out
Group (ctrl-g)

Done in 1sec.
I do it all the time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes, Holo that works but not if you have groups in groups in groups.

so if I have to ungroup+ungroup to get to ctrl+deselect the goup I want to extract, then the grouping of other groups is lost.

oh boy… a lot of grouping going on there, but after all it makes sense I hope…

so what Iwould like to have is basically a selection list of groups within which a piece of geometry is contained and then extract the respective parts by choosing a group

1 Like

Well then I would isolate first.
Select inverse hide :slight_smile:
and use layers more :wink:

Hi Daniel,
If you don’t Name or Label your groups, how do you know what’s in a group and what groups are in a ‘group of groups’?
Sounds like you might benefit from setting up a ‘naming scheme’.
Use SetGroupName and within that Command, '_SelGroup.snap01 2-24-2020
List to choose from:
snap02 2-24-2020
Select and name something meaningful…

Hi Daniel,

I have been using a script I wrote just to handle cases like you have described (to extract a group from a hierarchy of groups). It is a bit tricky as Pascal said since Rhino allows for groups cross-referencing objects. So you need to be a bit careful with that.

The script is smart enough that if you try to externalize a group that has sub-groups, it will keep them intact, unless some of the objects are cross-referenced into any groups with objects not belonging to the group you are externalizing (are you still following? :crazy_face:)
Here is the tool, save on HD, drag-and-drop into Rhino; the command is: Externalize_Group

Externalize_Group.rvb (2.4 KB)

hth,

Jarek

3 Likes

:pray: perfect

cross referencing not an issue in my files… I use this grouping as a quick on the fly, while drafting replacement for blocks. A pure graphical way of quickly organizing a file. And in this course I sometimes encountered the urgent need of doing exactly what your script can do.
I was pretty sure someone else was bugged by this, too. :wink:
thanks for sharing!

1 Like

great, I’m glad it helps!
I try not to rely on nested groups too much due to lack of clarity in viewing the hierarchy, but definitely sometimes grabbing a nested group from more complex grouping is a big time saver…Also some imported files like SKP create bunch of nested groups on import, so that’s another case when I use it.

–jarek

in Rhino v2 there was a plugin that would list group names and I believe hierarchies as well in a layer-type always on window. would be happy to see that resurrect :slight_smile:

yeah, it was called Object Viewer, wish it was resurrected as well.

1 Like

Hey Jarek,
Thanks so much for posting that tool, it is just the thing I have been looking for, you have made my day!!
All the best.
Geoff.

1 Like

Where did you find Object Viewer?

object viewer was a rhino V1.5/2 plugin from the erarly 2000’s :smirk: :mantelpiece_clock:

if anyone has V5 installed and wants to check it out.
ObjectViewer.rhp (112 KB)