Reflected Parallel Projections (the old question)

thanks for this - at least for now it does exactly what I needed!!! Would be great to add as a feature in v6.

1 Like

We have been working on the reflected ceiling plan issue for a long while now as well. This command initially seemed to work perfectly, but then trying to work with the view after it is created we get unusual pan, zoom and selection behavior. we also can’t seem to get the view in the detail to stay put even when locked. Also when we close out of the rhino file, then reopen it looses the flipview property and reverts to the “Off” state. Has there been any progress on this tool? We would have daily use for this if it worked.

Hey Jeff,

Is there still an official intent for an RCP command like this to be part of V6?
It’s the last piece of the puzzle to replace my other tools

-Rhino, Visualarq, Octane4Rhino, Lands Design user…

2 Likes

Jeff, any luck polishing this important tool?

Here is a Rhino 6 version of flipview. Please give it s try.

It probably works best running this in the Bottom view running a clipping plane to get a view up into an object.

This is a real hack to get this to work, so it may not be stable. But we can see if it is the right idea.

FlipView.zip (52.2 KB)

Thanks! My Windows system is having problems – parts are arriving Monday – and I’m going away. So It’s going to be about a week before I can test this out, but I will return to it. Sorry for the delay.

It works!

Hi @scottd

I am also looking for a solution for RCP. I downloaded and install FlipView.rhp. It does work but the detail acts funny. When I ran FlipView, dim doesn’t seems to find the near point (section edge from my clipping plane) also when I zoom in zoom out the flipped detail doesn’t seem to zoom in/out correctly. Is there a better way to do RCP now in R6?

Thanks

https://discourse.mcneel.com/search?expanded=true&q=%20reflected%20ceiling%20plan%20order%3Alatest

Sad to learn that this is still being developing. Thanks for the link tho

Another baffling simple feature missing 6 years later. That plugin does the trick for now thanks @scottd but it took me a while to find.

Hey @SamPage Did you ever get this to work properly? Working on something at the moment and would be very nice to be able use this (particularly in Rhino 7) Seems like it works at first blush, but as you said, the Hatching doesn’t work while using a Clipping Plane.

I normally use SectionTools, so that might work well - will check. But on this job because of the need-for-speed, I’ve starting using the regular ol’ clipping plane in a Sketchup-y sort of way.

Hopefully this could get resolved b/c it would very helpful.

UPDATE: FlipView works in some respects, in that it flips properly, and you can see the hatching (probably b/c it’s actual geo and not a render material) but still getting the odd floating when zooming around on the Layout page itself, and can’t pick point for dimensioning.

7 years later
still no mirrored feature for reflected ceiling plan.
soooo many set designers, interior designers, architects using rhino.
oh well.

1 Like

Adding a reflected ceiling plan command would be a very important statement on McNeel’s part about the importance of Rhino for architects, interior and set designers. I know that the conversation is there but for some reason it falls through the cracks. Rhino started out as an industrial design tool but has become much, much more.

1 Like

I dream about this FlipView feature every single night. What will it take? Please contract someone to code this crap… I’ll donate!

2 Likes

I don’t know. There’s no reason why it can’t be done, it’s not even complicated code and it’s mostly been written. But every time there’s a new release it gets left out. support, engineering, what’s gonna take to get this in?

1 Like

:joy:

Yes, but at least we have gradient hatches now.

Sorry that probably doesn’t help, but it’s hard to understand why some of these things can go almost 10 years (same with improving blocks) without being addressed. Extremely frustrating!

1 Like

Please see Rhino 8 Feature: Reflected Ceiling Plan

4 Likes