Recreate a smooth surface from SubD Outlines

I got a set of outlines from a subd model, I would like to recreate the geometry by using these outlines, I try loft and network surface and sweep but it appear that there is this hard edge from the model, the surface is not as smooth as the brep model that I convert from my subd model.

Any suggestion that I can use this set of outlines to recreate a surface that is as smooth as the brep convert from my subd model ?

SubD Outlines.3dm (217.6 KB)

Snipaste_2022-03-30_12-44-13
I did not download your model, but from your description, I think there are some basic concepts of surface continuity.
In the picture above you are trying to create adjacent surfaces that are smoothly connected, at least G1 continuity in the red line.
These 2 surfaces are all untrimmed surfaces as a1 and b1 create (can be loft or sweep) surface 1, a1 and b1 are surface 1’s untrimmed edge, or we can call it NURBS surface edge.
The same goes with surface 2 and a2/b2.

In your case: a1 and a2 have a sharp corner, obviously, it has no G1 continuity, while b1 and b2 are continuous at least with G1 continuity.
So there is no way rhino is creating surface 1 and surface 2 and they have one side of edge curve with G1, other side of edge curve with G0, but they merge at G1. At least not by using a defaut way like loft or sweep.
The only way for rhino to achieve this with loft/sweep is to create a smooth change on the red line:
From A where continuity is G0, gently translate to B where continuity is G1.
This is why you can see the red line as some kind of “smooth becomes corner” or the other way “a corner fade into a smooth surface”

Thank you so much for your response.

Any suggestion on “From A where continuity is G0, gently translate to B where continuity is G1.”

Hi -

and

Could you clarify what problem you are trying to solve?
Do you only have the curves (as in the model that you uploaded) or do you also have the SubD object? If you have the SubD object, what is wrong with the ToNURBS version of that object?
-wim

Thanks for your response.

What I try to do is, behind this elements is the floor slab. I want to attach this elements to the slab. It is difficult for me to adjust the subd outlines with control points on to drag the points to match the slab outlines.

What I try before is extract the outlines of the subd model from grasshopper and then using ‘pull curve’ to pull the outlines to the surface extruded form the slab outlines. Then I will loft all the curve back to recreate the element, then I will have this element matching the slab outlines.

using this method for other part of the elements is good. It is just this corner got this sharp point and edge. When I loft it back there will be this hard edge.

Or if there is a way that can adjust this subd model, make it attach to the slab perfectly, not little gap in between.

From your rhino model, I don’t think there is any need to use SubD.
The shape is good to go with normal loft/sweep here.
I am not sure why you did this with SubD in the first place.

If you are interested in that particular area where you want G1 through all that red line.
It is not possible.
Just like 1+1 never equals 3. The reason behind it, some basic NURBS principles are explained in my previous reply.

Some suggestions based on construct level:
If some surface is hard to make in NURBS, then it is most likely hard to manufacture and construct.
Please gain some basic knowledge on how “undevelopable alum plates” are made in the factory.

Zhiwei is definitely a Chinese name, so let’s cut the crap here:
中文论坛地址https://forum.rhino3d.com.cn/

关于你的问题:
1:看了曲线,不认为有必要使用SubD,这都是基本曲面命令完全可以操作的形态
2:如果只是为了那个尖角强行圆滑。SubD也做不到。如果希望做到近似SubD的效果,将曲面rebuild成更多控制点,并且将尖角之外的第一排控制点全部手工对齐成三点一线,如下图同色的点。也就是G1连续。但就算你rebuild成了100个,最末端的那一个区域(深红箭头)仍然是会存在“渐渐过度成尖角”的感觉。控制点的数量无非就是决定了这个渐变区域到底可以有多小。SubD产生的结果更加圆滑也是由于它转化为nurbs以后的控制点数量比较多罢了。但无法改变末端突然尖锐的本质。

如果你发现某些曲面用NURBS常规方法很难做出来/做出来很不科学/有一些别扭的地方
那么建议你多从设计理念考虑,修改方案。
因为这样的曲面往往也很难建造,或者在当下的手段几乎建造不出来。
一个那么微小的渐消区域对你的造型有什么实际意义吗?实际建造出来只会非常勉强而且不伦不类。不符合数学也不符合科学。

建议你再去了解一下铝板建造工艺,尤其是双曲面铝板。找个幕墙公司的伙伴咨询一下,千万不要作为建筑师在方案阶段闭门造车,花了很大功夫做了难做+不好看+无法施工的方案。

He wants to fit the SubD edge to some existed curve.

There is an old T-spline function likely named “fit TS to NURBS curve”.
But Rhino7 SubD does not have it.

It is still a problem, will have to wait for that function.

Thank you so much for your explanation and suggestion, it is really helpful, thanks.

Hello - it seems like a surface point arrangement like this

ought to do it.

SubD Outlines_Maybe.3dm (325.7 KB)

-Pascal