Rearranging a list according to UV directions

Hi guys, I have created a space truss structure using Grasshopper Lunchbox and would like to label the curves according to a UV grid. I have used “Text Tag” command to do so, and realised the list was actually generated from a corner to one another, instead of the directions of U and V.

Is there a chance the list can be rearranged according to the UV directions? Any chance I can label the curves like the one on the second picture?

Thank you very much.

Sounds straightforward enough - can you attach a file so we can assist?

Hi Matt, sorry for my late reply.

Please find the Rhino and Grasshopper files attached.

Space Truss (Forum).3dm (120.6 KB) Space Truss Grasshopper (Forum).gh (10.2 KB)

Hi Matt, sorry for my late reply.

Please find the Rhino and Grasshopper files attached.

Space Truss (Forum).3dm (120.6 KB)

Space Truss Grasshopper (Forum).gh (10.2 KB)

Simple enough.

Space Truss Grasshopper (Forum) MBH.gh (19.2 KB)

Thank you very much.

Alvin

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your previous answer.

I am currently labelling the bottom grid with the same method. However, the bottom grid was generated according to Lunchbox “space truss structure 1” command, instead of from “divide surface” command.

Is there a way I can still obtain the data tree from this grid?

Thanks,
Alvin

Can you attach the file and I’ll take a look?

Dear Matt,

Is there a way I can label the truss members like the green words on the picture?

Thanks,
Alvin
20210805 Space Truss Forum.3dm (199.1 KB)
20210805 Space Truss Forum.gh (27.5 KB)

Please see reply above.

Can you either internalise the geometry or downsave to Rhino 6? I’m not on R7 yet!

20210805 Space Truss Forum Rhino 6.3dm (133.2 KB)

Thank you.

OK well there is no data tree output from that component, so you cant retrieve a tree structure. You could do what you’ve done and try to figure out the components internal structure and filter according to that structure by specifying true/false values at the appropriate, however I wouldn’t recommend that. It would be better for you to recreate what the space truss component is doing according to the tree structure you want. I’ll add some components to your file to show how this could work

Try this.

All I’m doing here is generating a series of points and a series of tags that correspond to each point. Then, we generate a pattern (a series of index values) which selects from the list of points & tags which points we want to join to form a line, and which tags we want to join to reference that line.

We’d have to use this kind of logic with the LunchBox truss lines to generate tags, so we might as well set up our own logic in the first place and generate the whole thing, it will be simpler in the long run

Also worth pointing out that there are probably more concise ways of doing this, but this method is quite simple/visible so you should be able to figure out what I’m doing here.

20210805 Space Truss Forum MBH.gh (50.0 KB)

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Alvin