Random on command line

hi

is there a way to type random when the rhino command line asks for a numeric value?

example :
command: variable fillet> radius: random

it has to be in the rhino and not in the grasshopper

and number calculations?

example :
command: variable fillet> radius: 1 + 2

thanks

Hello- the second one will work, but no way random directly at the command line as far as I know - you’d need a script for that.

Here’s a thing that will put a randomish number on the clipboard - you can paste to the command line as needed.

ClipboardRandom.py (1.4 KB)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

1 Like

You could kind of fake a random number between -1 and plus 1 by typing sin( and then mashing the number pad, e.g. sin(2462562562) = 0.51 but it is of course biased away from zero and many rhino commands won’t accept negative numbers

what would be the command line that i would have to type in the example you gave above?

no variable fillet: radius:

Hello - when you have a prompt for a radius at the command line, type 1+2 and Enter. Does that work?

-Pascal

actually i wanted several handles randomly distributed with several random radius in the command: variable fillet by typing some command in the command line

it’s possible ?

making it so that the drawn object is more like real objects

Hello - no, that is not possible, but if the goal is to simulate the imperfections in real objects, I would look at modeling in SubD.

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/7/tutorial/videos/subd

-Pascal

use SubD how?
control points?

or have some kind of procedural process? how to apply noise?

I’m not talking about creating organic objects like a human

I want to deform inorganic objects like the wooden sheets in a cabinet that are cut with a circular saw that doesn’t have as precise cuts as the objects cut by laser.

is there any way to do this with any procedural process in rhino?