Radial Texture Mapping on surface

Hi there,

first of all thanks a lot for any advice or help. Really appreciate it!!

In the first picture you can see a simple cylinder. This one I want to render with steel material (second picture) Although the steel sanding should be radial not in one line like it is in the second picture. I tried using texture mapping and looked into the diffuse material for changes, without any success. So I really hope someone here can help me out. I think it shouldn´t be such a big problem.

Thanks again, looking forward to an answer.
Best,
Jakob

sorry, here is the right picture 1

This is usually done with a gradient controlling the direction of the texture.
If you put this bitmap:

Here:

You’ll get this effect:

BTW, it’s a material included in V-Ray’s standard library, you could start with it to get what you want.

Hi Marc, thanks a lot for the answer.
The result I´m looking for are not many little radial patterns, only one big one.
Here is an example:

I´m not sure how I can achive this with your solution.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Jakob

I don’t know if VRay has one, but with Cycles this would be achieved with an anisotropic bsdf. Perhaps you can find that does something similar?

First - I missed a radial mapping since a long time too. Two ways are possible to use a “linear” brush map.

(a) You use a sphere mapping and place the pole below the surface. Make it a little bit flat. It works if you render mesh settings are at fine quality. A low quality mesh settings you see UV jumps of the single mesh polygons.

(b) Better quality you get if you rebuild this disk surface by revolving a line. Than simple surfaces mapping works.

@andy: It could be great if we could get a cylindrical mapping with radial caps. I think it should be no big problem to add this mapping type or? Something for v6?

Recreate the cap so that it is no longer a trimmed rectangle.
Use the revolve command, it spits out matching UV’s. Assign the material, adjust repetition, done.

1 Like

Yes Jakob, the same principle work for only one circle, you just have to make a map accordingly.
It’s a simple command in Photoshop:

For best results, you may have to add a bump or displacement map like:

And @nathanletwory, you’re right, if you look at my screen capture in my initial response, the setting to get this effect is the in the BRDF section where I put -0.8 in anisotropy and the radial map in the rotation texture slot…

thanks a lot for the answers. I will try the different solutions and will post my results.
Thanks!
Jakob

Hi,
thanks again for the solutions!
the revolved surface shows the best result.

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Jakob