yesterday i was trying to port some ToolBars from Rhino 7 to Rhino 8 and ran into some strange issues. I’ve started creating a new rui file like below:
- From Options > ToolBars i’ve chosen File > New
- In the RUI file to create dialog, i’ve entered my rui file name “MyTestFile.rui”
- saved “MyTestFile.rui” on my desktop
- added one new ToolBar using *Edit > New ToolBar, named it “MyToolBar”
- added some new ToolBar buttons using 64x64px svg icons created in Illustrator
- saved the rui file using File > Save MyTestFile
- Closed and reopened Rhino 8 to see if my changes stick
So far this worked out OK, so i closed R8 and then did this:
- Renamed “MyTestFile.rui” on my desktop to “Custom_V8.rui”
- Opened Rhino 8 and got an empty container without any ToolBar in it (?)
- Found out that “MyTestFile.rui” got somehow re-created on my desktop (?)
- While the “Custom_V8.rui” file was still there (?)
- I opened “Custom_V8.rui” and the contend thankfully was intact
Is this expected ?
While i was using the Edit Image dialog, i was running into some issues:
- I’ve created this svg file using Rhino 8: RPS_Icon.zip (2.6 KB)
- Tried to open it in the Edit Image dialog, which crashed
- Somehow managed to get it into that dialog but it causes a long timeout on load
- I was not able to use Edit > Clear unless i closed and reopened the dialog
Since i encountered more crashes and very long timeouts importing several svg files, either created on my own using R7, R8, Illustrator or downloaded online i tried to draw something in the Edit Image dialog myself. This turned out like below:
It seems that the tools provided (pencil, line, rectangle, circle) sometimes did not start drawing where i clicked my mouse. There was an offset but not always. The worsest behaviour i got when trying to draw a filled circle:
It seems that sometimes the circle is not drawn while the mouse is moved or released.
So after trying to port my stuff to R8 for a few hours, i gave up. I feel scared, in the last 2 decades i’ve created over 200 pretty button images und published rui files to my clients. Is there i way to get them in R8 without sending them old R7 rui files at all ?
Why are images not allowed to be imported or pasted into the Edit Image dialog ? I mean i can simply create an svg file in Illustrator, paste my image there and then import that svg file into the Edit Image dialog. It seems a less productive workflow to me. Some image contents like gradients cannot be re-created quickly using vector based files. I really would like to re-use what i allready have created in all these years.
Using the new button creation wizard i’ve found some issues: I’ve clicked on the Add button to start the button creation wizard which brings up this dialog:
next, chose “New Command”, added some text details tried to add an example icon to it, which caused a freeze of the Edit Image dialog. Here is that icon:
Splash.zip (3.7 KB)
While i was waiting for the dialog to come back, i’ve noticed that it is not kept on top:
After 15 minutes i gave up and closed R8. Then reopened it to use another svg for the left button command which i know imports in a second:
If i then choose Next in the wizard i’m asked for the right button command where i choose “New Command”:
This brings up the dialog to enter the command details again but the left button image i’ve chosen before does not show up here:
Is this intended ? I mean there can only be one image per button (the button i am about to create) or not ?
One last question: When i create a ToolBar, i get a smaller icon in the ToolBar tab, left from the ToolBar title text. In R7 it was possible to define an icon for that. In R8 it seems not to be possible. Instead it uses a downsized version of the first button:
How can i disable that smaller icon or control which icon is used ?