Quasicrystal tiling generation

Yes exactly. I do it as you said in grasshopper and certainly notify you of result. Thank you so much

Hello
here a script that seems to work.
Like said by @Max3 I generate the shape a nice Brep. There is surely a more simple solution, but it seems to work.

Second thing it is best not to work with the mesh outputted by Wasp, they are ugly. If you want to use them, use Dendro to make the boolean.
As I choose to use brep, I used a component of wasp that allows to output the Transform, so it is applied to the Brep shape. For some reason Boolean Union doesn’t work like in Rhino. So deconstruct all the Brep, suppress all coincident faces an join. Now it works. Brep is not solid as it happens there are some coincident edges.
wasp_LD.gh (47.2 KB)

4 Likes

And if difference doesn’t work, use Dendro with meshes. And add the heal meshes. Often Dendro output invalid mesh!!!

And if mesh is not solid use Rhino Command “FillMeshHoles”
Good exercice there many tricky parts.

boolean meshes dendro.gh (659.7 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you very much.I’ll test all what you said🙏

When I have an answer for example in N=314, by pushing reset button or changin N, difference shape dissspears.am I right?

Wasp is updating the aggregation each time you push the button RESET. BUT if you put a SEED value (an integer) there is no change, except if you change the N.

1 Like

I really thank you all helped me and guided me to solve my problem.I can now convert mesh into brep in some ways,define initial geometry exactly, solve the problem of dissappearing due to seed. Just on issue is remaind!
I need wider area on my box to be subtracted, but just a narrow space is struggeled. This is the result👇

And as I said before my expected shape is this:

You must use other polygons or other technique. At the moment with the polygon you choose you have empty spaces. For what you want you better try to use a 3d array of polygons (boxes that are deformed) then use some attractor to suppress some polyhedron that are too inside the structure.

1 Like

Oh, Very good idea :ok_hand:

If I do this, I’ll have a grid of boxes and if I orient polyhedreas on some closest point to attractor point and different them from small boxes,since my employer wants to manufact this,can he cut them down manually? Because of cutting restriction I can’t have a quite randomly disordered pattern. The boundaries will be cut by cnc but inner cuttings should be done manually.

I think you can use Wasp’s surface fields / volumetric fields to get some arrangements that will flow much closer to the trimming-surface of your original solid

both topics are super well tutorialized by Wasp’s creator here:

and here:

what I’m thinking is: at the end of the day, if you are interested in removing a portion of a solid (blue) in such a way your inside red section has a particular 3D pattern, it looks much easier to just build a Wasp arrangement along the red surface, and boolean-subtract just those objects from an already-trimmed solid

1 Like

It’s really kind of you,thank you so much. I will watch them of course,Though I had seen the second before.

And for the record the furniture you referenced is from Aranda/Lasch
https://arandalasch.com/works/quasi-series/

And Jake Phipps

3 Likes

I continue to look to your question. You could mimic QuasiCrystal with WASP and the good polyhedrons which are available in Rhinoceros/Grasshopper with the plugin Polyhedra
They are
Rhombic Hexecontahedron
Rhombic Triacontahedron
You must scale one of them because their edges doesn’t fit.
I managed to do that with these polygon and Wasp

Is is not very good for you design because there quite some holes.

So for your need the best is surely you make Jake Phipps design by doing the mesh by hand. Not as automatic but you will have a very good control.

2 Likes