Quasicrystal tiling generation

Hello,

I am researching on the potentialities of aperiodic three-dimensional tiling systems in architecture, in particular, quasicrystals (but also Danzer tiling). I managed to shape the basic tiles of this system(obtuse and acute rhombohedrons) by hand on rhino, and I tried a possible configuration.
I would like to automatise this process of generation with grasshopper, which is easier with periodic tile systems, as they repeat themselves.
In this case, each tile can’t be just copied but needs to adapt to the tiles that already exists.
I have tried to find ways to do this, but I am not a pro in grasshopper (yet :wink: ), still, I feel there could be a way.
I was wondering if anybody did something similar, or has an idea on the direction to take to solve this.

construction drawings for basic 2 tiles, and first clusters
construction quasicrystal 2
‘seed’ composed by 20 tiles of type 1

adding

adding adding adding… by hand!

thanks in advance!

There is a whole field of study dealing with tilings.
As a starting point have a look at the “parakeet” download, under food for rhino, by Esmaeil mottaghi and Arman KhalilBeigi. There are some pretty good example files there, and you can build on those

1 Like

There’s a new grasshopper plugin called Wasp that might be able to do this very easily.

The creator of the plugin has done some very good tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqH2xH_W4Y4&list=PLCn3-_9Z4-E5A0EFluiMldlEbDufMiN1g

2 Likes

Exactly what I needed, thankyou so much.

1 Like