Python scripting support for Mac Release 5.0.1

Having moved to the 90 days evaluation of Rhino Mac 5.0.1, I am getting error when trying out my Python scripts that where working with the WIP version. I am getting an exception saying “No module named String” in module utility.py

Is there a new Python plugin for the Rhino Mac 5.0.1, or should it work with the one provided for the WIP ?

Thanks for your answers

PS running python20140707.macrhi

the newer (last year or so) Mac rhinos don’t require any additional install (the .macrhi thing)… maybe you’re having a conflict since you’ve installed the old library?

also, what version of Python / OSX do you have on your Mac? I vaguely recall that error popping up for people using OS X 10.8.5 and the version of Python that ships with it.

Thanks Jeff.

I haven’t found anywhere on the forum not needing the IronPython plugin to run python script in Rhino (the .macrhi). If you could point me to the post where this has been explained, it would certainly help.

I am sorry but I don’t follow you when you speak about the version of Python / OSX. We are talking IronPython here, and it is not linked in anyway to the standard Python than may be installed on the Mac.

Jeff is right that you shouldn’t need to install that old macrhi. Did you find that macrhi from the internet recently or was it something that you just kept around? I’m asking because I want to make sure it isn’t available for download anymore.

I thought I had written the start up code to be smart enough to detect this separate installation of the python plug-in and ignore it, but apparently my code is not smart enough. Please try the following:

That should fix things.

Hi Steve,

Actually I have kept it installed as I was using the WIP, but I haven’t run any script for the past 6 months or so. I was just checking the 5.0.1 and making sure everything was working as I was used to, and IronPython was on my list.

I know exactly where to look for it in the Library folder, so I’ll try what you suggest. As a matter of fact I was able to download the version of the .macrhi from http://www.rhino3d.com/download/IronPython/5.0/wip, so it is still there as you suspected.

not required for the WIP either…

from oct 2014:

Thanks for the pointer Jeff. As I mentioned, I haven’t used Python scripts for quite some time, and I reckon I have missed those posts.

@stevebaer I got rid of the IronPython folder, emptied the trash, and watch it to recreated when Rhino was restarted. But I am still getting an Exception while running the sample scripts just installed by Rhino saying “No module named string” in utility.py

Any thought about this ?

again, what version of python is on your mac? (open Terminal.app and type python <return>… what’s it say?)
what version of OS X are you using?

see this thread for a similar error message:

others here:
Analyse Weight of Object

Jeff it’s the same version 2.7.2 installed by default on OSX 10.8.5 mentioned in the two posts your pointed.

Now, as we are talking about a Rhino Mac release, I am sorry to say that I, as a user, should not have to upgrade to whatever other version of Python or OSX for the matter.

In one of the two posts, Steve was talking about making a " search for the standard library " look for different locations. Jeff just gave me an indication that a fix has not yet been implemented, and as such the version 5.0.1 of Rhino Mac has a bug (sorry Steve).

I am evaluating this release, and isn’t it precisely the purpose of an evaluation to find out if everything is working as it is supposed to ? Especially if someone is going to pay for it … There is no doubt people at McNeel understand pretty well the difference between a WIP and a product, and we are talking product here. I doubt they will ever ask a prospect to have all its Mac upgraded in order to run Rhino.

You shouldn’t and whatever is causing this is a bug on our part. This is actually the first report of this bug that I’ve heard for quite a while. I thought this was fixed, but apparently that is not the case for every single user. My first guess is that python is configured in a slightly different way on OS X 10.8.5 and we’ll need to figure out what that difference is. I’ve logged this as a bug in our bugtracking system at
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/MR-2155

@brian, I’ll need your help removing this file from our download system. We shouldn’t be handing this out anymore since a more ‘updated’ version ships with Mac Rhino.

Hi @jlseguineau,

I can’t duplicate this problem on osx 10.8.5 unless I restrict the permissions on the /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7 directory.

Can you confirm that the /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7 directory exists on your computer?

If so can you check the permissions on that directory? “Ctrl-click” the ‘2.7’ directory and select ‘Get Info’ from the context menu. The ‘sharing & permissions’ section at the bottom of the dialog should look like this:

system    read & write
wheel     read-only
everyone  read only

Are you logging in with an administrator account?

Thanks,
Alain