Projecting different lines onto every first, second and third offsetted surface

Hello everybody,

as the title states, I want to use every first, second and third of my offsetted surfaces and project different lines onto them. Those lines will be printing paths for a 3D-printer and my goal right now is having 3 different types of layers for better mechanical properties.

Piktos Layer-01
This is a little drawing of how I need the layers to be sorted.

I’ve seached for an answer for quite some time now but couldn’t find one. I thought of doing three “branches” and using Offset three times, but things don’t add up and not having the projected lines “together” would result in a problem with the G-Code. Because another important thing is that the projected lines are fed to the GCode Generator in the correct order, layer after layer from the bottom to the top.

Schaltung Offset 45.gh (236.4 KB)

I hope that explains my problem. Thanks a lot in advance!

If I understand your intent correctly, you could use Entwine and Graft for it.

Schaltung Offset 45_re.gh (230.0 KB)

1 Like

Yes! That is exactly what I was aiming for! Thank you.

But there’s a little problem with adding more than three layers. It keeps projecting Type 3 onto the following layers. Is there a way to make it start at 1 again?

If you zoom in theEntwine component, you’ll find the little ‘+’ botton to expand the input for your additional curve sets.

1 Like

Okay, thanks! That should work for the first test.
Is there a way to make it start again automatically? Because this way I’d have to do every layer manually and for bigger structures it would become very chaotic.

IMO, as long as your curve sets are created arbitrary, and you have no idea how your whole curve sets are organized in datatree fashion, you’ll probably need to connect your new curve set manually…
Whereas, if you create your curve sets parametrically from the first place, then you don’t have to do it manually.
Check the attached demo and hope you can get a hint for your ongoing endeavor.

Schaltung Offset 45_reV2.gh (14.6 KB)

1 Like

That is exactly my struggle. But because the printed material contains fibres the printer can only move in a positive x-direction.
“Rotating” them like you did would make a lot of sense if it wasn’t for the printers restrictions. I need full control on how the curves and their vectors are defined.
Anyway, thank you a lot for your time and help! I have learned a lot from you.