Project curves onto surface in Rhino 5?

I know there’s a tool for projecting curves onto a surface in Rhino 6 but does it exist in Rhino 5? I’v been unable to find it so far…

Project?
-Jakob

Yes, but not the same as ‘project to surface’

Hi - what is the difference?
Could you provide more information about what you are trying to do?
-wim

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m trying to project a bunch of lines onto a toroidal shaped object. Think of the Chinese Birds Nest Stadium shape, and a bunch of random vertical lines to one side…

I did it with Rhino 6 yesterday, but now I’m having. to work on my own PC with Rhino 6.

I think the difference between ‘project’ and ‘project to surface’ has to do with the target surface matching the extent of the curves. With ‘project to surface’ this doesn’t seem to matter and curves which extend past the surface just don’t matter.

Hello - there is only Project and no ‘Project to surface’… Project behaves as you describe in V5 and V6 - the parts of lines which miss the target do not matter. Both versions use the current CPlane Z direction as the projection direction by default - V6 allows you to set a custom direction not dependent on the CPlane but that is not the default.

See also ‘Pull’, that is a different thing but may be in your mind as a version of Project.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thanks Pascal, I guess I’ll just have to wait till I get access to Rhino 6 again.