Procreate 3d

Hi everyone. Procreate just released its latest version which allows you to import 3d models to paint on. The formats sopported are obj, usdz. I’ve tried exporting my files as obj from rhino (as I’ve done for 3d printing, and other exports) but have had no luck getting into procreate. Has anyone else tried this and had success?

This should work in principle if you choose mesh (not nurbs surface) when exporting.

Thanks, That’s what I thought as well, but it hasn’t worked.

You can try the usdz exporter from SimlabSoft.

https://www.simlab-soft.com/3d-plugins/rhino_Plugins.aspx

Did you try export the obj with naming options “As OBJ groups” and Mesh welded, no NGons and ExporttextureCoordiantes checked?
IDK for ProCreate, but for all other softwares I’m using that demand obj it’s the only options working correctly, except for “texture export”, but I guess this is rather important for you.

You have to make sure you apply a UV map in rhino to your model before exporting as an OBJ.
If the file does not have UV map, procreate does not know what to paint on.

my obj has uv applied and I still get “no valid meshes” from procreate when trying to export.

if you have done it with success, would you mind giving me a run-down of how and what you did to make it work?

I was just trying this. You should make sure that you have the .mtl file right by the .obj file when opening it in procreate. The only problem I have had so far is that when you open a cleanly made rhino object in procreate, it creates holes in areas close to edges, such as where it is filleted. I should try what Ben said above to see if it is still going to be the same.

Happened to both welded and unmodified export from Rhino; and it’s just a native torus.

Hello, has anyone been able to do this… I am planning to get rhino only to exporting of my files for procreate, but am unable to do this.

What do you mean by have the mtl file right by the obj file? I am unable to import the mtl file into procreate, it is not a clickable file on my ipad.

Trying this as well. Does this work as a separate program, or will I be able to export the files directly from Rhino in a particular way?

And do I also need to export it in a particular way like Ben has mentioned in the previous comment…

The OBJ file has the geometry data, whereas the MTL file has the material information and should be referenced on top of the OBJ file. This means that you only need to open the OBJ file and the program in question should understand that it can read the material information from the MTL file. The latter should thus be in the same location (or directory) than the OBJ file.

Additionally, you should make sure that your object has a UV-mapping, otherwise you may not be able to draw on it.

@Hasta_Mane
You can ask for a free trial version, and test it. You can export directly from rhino.