Process IronPython.Runtime.List in C#

Hi so I’m working on a custom Grasshopper plugin. I’m running into an issue where, when I try to use the “Rhino.NodeInCode” to call the “Mesh Shadow” component, it will return a “ironpython.runtime.list” rather than some usable object type. It won’t let me cast it to a “Curve”.

I’ve tried just using a regular “Object” class to store it but that doesn’t come into Grasshopper nicely. It doesn’t show up as curves but as just a “ironpython.runtime.list”. It does seem to return a curve if I plug similar code into a C# node and run it as a one-off.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with this properly? Or where to look to learn more about this problem? Thank you.

using Rhino.NodeInCode;

private SunPosition currentSunPosition;
private Mesh originObject;

public readonly Curve ShadowCurve;

private ComponentFunctionInfo ghMeshShadow = Components.FindComponent("MeshShadow");

private Curve CreateShadowCurve()
        {
            string[] warnings;
            Plane planeXY = new Plane(new Point3d(0.0, 0.0, 0.0), new Vector3d(0.0, 0.0, 1.0));

object[] result = ghMeshShadow.Evaluate(new Object[] {
                 originObject, 
                 currentSunPosition.SunVector, 
                 planeXY }, false, out warnings);

return (Curve) result[0];
        }

Hi @c.woodward10,

In terms of passing an IronPython list object to C#, let me google that for you… here’s a possible solution.

Since you seem proficient in programming, another way would be to come up with your very own mesh shadow code. This is probably not hard at all.

(Can’t tell if this response was meant to be snarky or not…)
I did get it to work from that link so thank. Using the right Google search query definitely is helpful since when I google’d around, I didn’t find that particular topic.

Also trying to avoid making my own version of Mesh Shadow since GH’s works just fine. (and I’m essentially learning C# while making this plugin)

Anyways, here’s what worked for those curious:

object[] result = ghMeshShadow.Evaluate(new Object[] { originObject, currentSunPosition.SunVector, 
                          planeXY }, false, out warnings);    
IList<object> resultList = (IList<object>)result[0];
return (Curve)resultList[0];
2 Likes

This is correct. To improve this, just make sure that your lookup is not out of range. You should probably do this in a couple of lines (check that IList will work, using C# keywords as, is, or some other one, then check if there is an item [0], by checking Count.

As you noticed, there is no need to know that the returned list is Ironpython.Runtime.List. You can expect lists to be IList, or IList<object>.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you. That’s quite helpful.