Printing to PDF slow and sometimes leaves Rhino 7.0 not responding

Hi there,

I am having problems with Rhino 7 printing command. It takes a lot of time to respond to commands, like chancging scale, and mostly it seems not to be working as in previous versions, very slow.

Did anyone experienced the same problem?

Any comments/ possible solutions?

Thanks!

I just saw that the same file printed to PDF in Rhino 5 and then Rhino 7 had 46Mb compared to 500Kb, so the problem is there somewhere, on the output specification. I have not tweaked any of these settings, so it is the as deliverd setting that is causing this huge file size.

Me again, it´s the resolution setting. It comes as standard as 600 dpi, which looks to be over what´s needed here. Anyone with a link to material discussing the correct resolution values to be used to print engineering plans, A0 size?

Thanks again,

Hi -

There are no strict rules. As low as possible to still look “good”.
-wim

Thanks!

But no, there is definitively something wrong with the print command. It takes ages to open the initial print routine screen.

I would like the developers to look into this if possible,

Thanks

Hi - please post the result of the Rhino SystemInfo command and provide a sample 3dm file that is giving you issues.
-wim

One more update. My partner in the office has also Rhino 7.0, and did not tweak any settings on Rhino Print to PDF, so our settings and options were exactly the same, and his file came out at 330 Kb against 46Mb of mine.

So this is specific to my system it seems. I will try to send you the file and system info.

Hi Wim, will do that. Thanks.

Well it can’t be the same, that’s the difference between outputting vector vs raster. And is this printing with Rhino’s PDF or via Adobe or something?

Hi, I am printing as Vector, and that is the default setting, which was the same on my friend´s system.

The printing is with Rhino PDF.

On My Rhino 5, I am printing the same portion of my model, also as Vector, and the file comes out at 500k, instead of 46M.

The very menus are not working well, any option I want to change, like, switch betwenn rhino PDF and Microsoft Print to PDF, causes the system to hang, not responding for maybe 30 or 40 seconds.

It´s a new machine. I will print systeminfo

here is system info:

Rhino 7 SR7 2021-6-9 (Rhino 7, 7.7.21160.05001, Git hash:master @ d2161989109d5dacba531310b5d345ce6f4da9f6)
License type: Commercial, build 2021-06-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [100% battery remaining]

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (NVidia) Memory: 4GB, Driver date: 11-20-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 457.49
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 11-20-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5749
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 4 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Flamingo nXt 5.0 (fd53f8c4-546d-47d1-8820-e66c97645a97)\5.5.18018.1000\5.5\Legacy\Flamingo.Legacy.dll "Flamingo nXt Legacy File Reader " 5.5.18018.1000
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\Flamingo nXt 5.0 (fd53f8c4-546d-47d1-8820-e66c97645a97)\5.5.18353.6521\5.5\Flamingo.nXt.rhp “Flamingo nXt 5.5” 5.5.18353.6521

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.7.21160.5001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello Wim,

I found where things were going wrong and solved the issue. I was printing from an old Rhino 5 file, without saving it to Rhino 7 first, because I did not want to commit to the new version in case things did not work well. This has happened before when Rhino 6 was not maintaining format for dimensions and texts and drawings produced in Rhino 5 were not printing well in Rhino 6. Of course I vould have saved a working copy and tired from there, which is what I did later, and things started working well. So it appears the problem was printing from a Rhino 5 file. When it was saved to a Rhino 7 file it all started working normally.

Thanks for your help yesterday.