Possible to disable "Create Backup (*.*BAK) files when saving

If you’re in an environment that already handles versioning of files, the way that Rhino handles saving a backup file can result in a file’s version history being located in the ‘backup’ file, rather than with the source file. I think this is counter intuitive and means that you need to keep track of two files for version history.

With that in mind, is it possible via GPO, registry setting or other, to disable this setting for the company as a whole?

I get the default setting for “saving it on my regular C:” but it doesn’t align with our use case.

Hello - the setting is per application/installation but is held in the Settings file -

“C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\settings\settings-Scheme__Default.xml”

<child key="FileSettings">
        <entry key="DefaultTemplateFile">C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Localization\en-US\Template Files\Small Objects - Millimeters.3dm</entry>
        <entry key="Create3DMBackupFiles">False</entry>
      </child>

Note the enrtry will not be there, in the file if it has not been set to false(modified in Rhino’s Options) but it can be added to the xml file if Rhino is closed. The next time Rhino is run it will load that setting.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you. Guessing there are other settings stored in there, that we probably don’t want to mess with, by overwriting the file.