Possible Rhino memory issues?

Hi all.

I’ve been working with a lot of Stl’s lately, some for 3d printing, and some for conversion to subd/nurbs for manufacturing and have been finding a few weird issues converting meshes/stl’s.

The main thing is, if I try and convert a mesh to nurbs or quadremesh to subd, it will bring up a notification saying that it’s 20,000 surfaces or so and it may run out of memory or crash rhino. However, it never runs out of memory. It’ll sit there quietly and seem to do nothing either until it works or I give up and alt-ctrl-del out of it.

Some of the mesh’s I have reduced the mesh count to the minimum I can, though mesh count doesn’t seem to always be a factor. Sometimes it’ll convert 50,000 meshes no problems, and other times it’ll struggle with 20,000.

this is what my computer specs are.

And this is typical for usage (though I suspect this file isn’t working)

Now I have tested this on my laptop which has 12 cores and it seems to be better at converting the files.

So, is Rhino using ram to do this conversion, or are cores more important? Or is there some other issue that I might be having that I need to look into?

I can see there is 15% cpu usage, but you should switch to the Processes tab and see how much CPU Rhino.exe is actually using – if nonzero, then it is probably just taking a long time to do its job

As per below.

It’s just taking a really long time. It’s also going to be a single-threaded task.

Generating tens of thousands of NURBS surfaces via MeshToNURB or quadremesh is not advised, it’s orders of magnitude beyond their intended uses, “There be dragons.”

So, is there a reason that sometimes it’ll do it near instantly and other times it seems to take forever, or just crash flat out?

Reading or writing to the disk may be the limiting factor.

Windows Resource Monitor can be used to view Disk Queue Length.

I would expect converting a mesh to NURBS and Quadramesh to SubD to take different amounts of time, though I don’t have experience doing either with large meshes.