PointCloud > Remove loses intensity values

In Rhino 8.27, running PointCloud > Remove loses the scalar information in both parts of the result. Is this intentional?

I understand that adding points or another point cloud to a point cloud will not always work because points don’t have the intensity/scalar information. But splitting a point cloud into two parts could in theory maintain the scalars.

Thank you

Axel

Hi Axel -

I see that it doesn’t remove color, so probably not.
Could you post a pointcloud sample file with intensity/scalar information?
-wim

Hi Wim,

I shared a point cloud with RGB and intensity values with you privately. I tried to cut it down a bit, but noticed that when I select sub-objects (i.e. points) and delete them from the point cloud, the scalar values also disappear. This also appears to be a bug that is related.

Thank you
Axel

Hi @axa,

Thanks for reporting. I’ve logged a ticket.

– Dale

RH-92002 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 29

Hi Dale, Brian.

I have tested PointCloud > Remove with 8.29 SRC. The operation no longer nukes the scalar/intensity information. Thank you for fixing this.

Selecting sub-objects (i.e. points) and deleting them from the PC still does remove the intensity information.

Best
Axel

Hi Axel -

Thanks → RH-92381 PointCloud: Subobject delete does not maintain intensity values
-wim

RH-92381 is fixed in Rhino 8 Service Release 30

Thank you @brian . I have tested with 8.30.26082.23001, 2026-03-23. That’s fixed now.

-Axel

Hi @brian ,

I’m afraid this issue also shows up in the new _SplitPointCloud command in R9 Beta

Thank you

--Axel

Hi @axa,

I have not been able to repeat what you’ve reported. Maybe we need a sample and instructions?

– Dale

Hi @dale

I stand corrected. I have not been able to reproduce this myself.

We are building up a pointcloud pre-processing pipeline based on CloudCompare, and are tinkering with many different options resulting in dozens of different E57 which we then feed to Rhino.

It seems that the 3 or 4 E57 files that I tried before reporting this had the scalar information wiped by our CC processing script.

Apologies for raising this false alarm.

--Axel