Point inside Brep c# component

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a faster solution to get points inside breps. Right now it takes a look to detect which one are or not inside.

I tried converting the breps into meshes to use the mesh inclusion command, althoguh the number of points detected are not the same :frowning:

I also tried point in curve but it even took more time than with breps

Has anyone dealt with large data points such as in this case?

Thanks in advance!

Point in breps.gh (300.5 KB)

Any particular reason for duplicating the points and using data trees in the Point in Breps component inputs?

If you use lists, the i (lowercase) output already contains the index of the first Brep containing the point (or -1 if none):

Indeed that’s a way to speed things … but Mesh Inclusion works when it works (Karma a must).

In C#

1. Get the Box (rotated or not).out of the Mesh (prior all check if is Closed).
  2. Define Box Corners thus the xyz Vectors (say vx, vy, vz);
  3. Define origin (corner[0])
  4. Create N (user defined) rnd pts inside the Box (i.e. orig + vx * rnd_ampl + …)
  5. Test for inclusion (cross fingers).

If you want a C# that does that notify.

Looks like there is something funny in branching of the original data. I flattened both the points and the curves and cut time in by about the same amount as @ale2x72

I have worked with some large point clouds in rhino (I would qualify 45k as large personally) and find that working in chunks is just easier than performance optimization in Native Grasshopper.
Point in breps_Test.gh (592.5 KB)

Thank you for your answers @ale2x72 and @eliwilliams1337 . Just as a clarification, I was using trees since my goal was to create as an output a data structure like this:

{0} Points inside of brep in the branch {0}
{1} Points inside of brep in the branch {1}

I am not sure if with flattening the inputs I can get that, anyway good to know about the index.

@PeterFotiadis I am not familiar with C#…I do not know how to start what you say, although I have to warn you that the strategy of boxes maybe works for rectangular volumes but in this case I have non rectangular volumes. Then I am not sure if that can be apply. Anyway you are the master of C# so I am pretty sure you can make it work faster. :slight_smile:

What about the Brep.IsPointInside method? Is it feasible in this case?

Ah, ok, in that case, you can search for the point indexes contained in each Brep using Member Index like so:

Point in breps.gh (314.6 KB)

1 Like

probably Mr. @PeterFotiadis could optimize it more… :grimacing:

Point in breps v2.gh (303.6 KB)

1 Like

That’s why you test for inclusion (step 5 as above).

The Box is used to define Vectors then a Random value applied as amplitude then they are added (the 3 of them) to the origin Pt. Like:

Point3d[ ] bp = box.GetCorners();

Vector3d xV = bp[1] - bp[0]; … blah blah

Point3d rndPt = orig + xV * rnd.NextDouble() + yV * rnd,Next … blah blah.

So the pt is inside the Box. This is the classic way to get random points inside any closed Brep/Mesh be that “orthogonal” or some Blob like thing. If you want “equally as possible” spaced Points … well … that requires a variation of the above technique (say using a “distorted” 3d grid done also via the Box Vectors)

Now … the inclusion part: testing having a Mesh on hand is way faster (VS the Brep.IsPointInside Method). Remember that Meshes are float based things. Anyway for both cases there’s RC Methods exposed (but I don’t use’m in C#'s that are strictly internal).

Last … one should consider some proper // stragegy - obviously thread safe . Meaning that if you have a CPU with 666 cores … you can obtain - in theory - faster results.

BTW: your thread label is wrong: should be Point inside Brep … blah, blah, “In” could mean Point in Brep’s Faces (a totally different animal solved with a “similar” way)

1 Like

@ale2x72 thanks for the help, that is what I was looking for although the computational time seems to be still quite high.

@ThomasE The speed of the component you did is awesome! I just found a small problem. If we compare the solution using the Point inside brep command and the solution you did, there is a difference of 4 points. In your case, 4 extra nodes are added to the result. I analysed them and they should not be there since actually they are outside of the mesh…seems strange. I uploaded the script if you wanna take a look :slight_smile:

This is surface 147 for example with two extra points

@PeterFotiadis I understand what you mean but my c# knowledge does not allow me to program that. I would appreciate it if you could share what you have in mind :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

Point in breps v3.gh (315.6 KB)

change this line
if(mesh.IsPointInside(pt, 0.001, true))

1 Like

@ThomasE I tried to modify the tolerance but nothing happens. It seems it is a bug in the Mesh Inclusion component due to having too many decimals. I forced the points to have 6 decimals and it worked :slight_smile:

I found in this post the problem I am experiencing:

Mesh Inclusion Error - Grasshopper Developer - McNeel Forum

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Get an entry level take on that matter.

Accepts GeometryBase Types (Breps/Meshes). If the object is Brep is converted to a Mesh (If the Mesh is not closed [i.e. the RC Method failed] is skipped - same with Brep). Notice the prop(ortional) user option. Play with the inflate as well.

Modes are: (1) rnd - non uniform - pts, (2) grid - distorted - pts (this does “evenly”" spaced pts according a rnd distort value used as amplitude on the x/y/z Vectors). Is one of my Interview things for implementing a thread safe parallel solution (not the obvious).

Inclusion tolerance is: RhinoDoc.ActiveDoc.ModelAbsoluteTolerance;
Changing this … well … let’s say that I wouldn’t do it.

GeometryBase_RndPtsInside_V1.gh (211.4 KB).

Notify if you want the other thing: Rnd pts on BrepFaces (i.e. Pts on the Brep/Mesh “skin”). In this case you don’t need a closed object.

1 Like