Parametric Aircraft Modelling Plugin

Dear Stephen,
After sending the last reply this morning, here is more thinking! I suggest an alternate approach which could suit you.
While automatic full aircraft model generation has its appeal, it will reach a dead-end for accurate modelling, especially for complex combat aircraft configurations, which are different from constant cross-section simpler transport aircraft.
I suggest that you make your programme semi-automatic, instead of one fully automatic module. I mean automatic in many smaller modules.
Let me explain. Rhino Gallery has some aircraft models - also you will also get some in Grab-CAD Web Site. I am attaching two of my AJT model in jpg file in colours. Examine them. AJT is a single rear mount advanced jet trainer (AJT) aircraft (this is my design in industry). More details of AJT can be found out in my book Aircraft Design that may be in your library. My other publication on performance have lot more but this is new and may not be in the library.
All of us have dissected the configuration in a way that each component is easy to draw by lofting into a smooth shape. For example I have separated (some in different colours) into (1) nose cone, (2) canopy (green), (3) fuselage (red), (4) side intakes (blue), (5) wing, (6) empennage and (7) tail cone.
So, instead of working in one template to automatically generate the full fuselage why not split conveniently into modules those are amenable to automatically generate to closer fit surfaces? This will be your strength for having template based inputs to quickly generate surfaces instead painfully draw them. Eventually these templates can be converted drop-down window based inputs, same as to be given the template.
Use plane of symmetry and mirror each component.
These separate components will fall into their chosen places. Once in Rhino environment, the users will have the freedom to modify as required.
What do you think? Keep me updated.
Regards. Ajoy

Ajoy,

I really appreciate the responses. I have considered using the program in seperate modules, and I have coded it in such a way that it could easily be split up if need be. My intent at the moment was an all purpose, comprehensive yet simple modeling process aimed towards commercial aircraft.
I have considered and at the moment am planning on working on a more complex geometry tool for a masters project with hopefully an entire interface for the user. My goal would be to allow the user to design full aircraft curves rather than fill in the gaps with constants. Of course, if I did something like this, using your approach of modelling the pieces separately and displaying that to the user would be a necessity. Maybe this approach would allow more arbitrary military aircraft design possibilities.

Dear Stephen,

You are now in the right track. When do you expect to complete your CAD software, at least to a beta version? Like to try.

If your software can do complex military aircraft modelling, then commercial aircraft modelling can be easily done in it. The biggest beneficiaries

will be those designing small aircraft, e.g., hobbyists, etc. Small aircraft shapes also do not have constant cross section fuselage.

I am also interested to know about your work in the university (thesis topic) and in what position. Are you a faculty member?

Regards. Ajoy

Ajoy,

I have send you a personal message. We can continue to talk there if you don’t mind.

Dear Steven,

Yes, I would very much like to stay in touch and follow your progress in the Rhino plug-in.

Unfortunately, I stay away from any social networks, e.g., Facebook, etc.

Better to get the respective emails to continue, in stead of loading Rhino Forum.

Are we allowed to give email address in this forum? In my book my email is given.

I wish I was a good programmer. In our time, we started only with Fortran in our mid career. Today, my students do in schools. Carry-on with what you are doing - you will reach there. There are excellent plug-ins for naval architecture, e.g., Orca and others, but none for aircraft 3D modelling.

Let me know. Regards. Ajoy

Sure you can no rules against it. Just note that it is in the public domain so anyone can see it.

-Willem

To send someone who posted a private message, click on the “…” symbol at the bottom of a message the desired recipient posted, then click on the “flag” symbol. Select “Send @name a message” to enter and send the message which can include email address…

Dear Steven,

Mr. Derks has kindly clarified my doubt. My email is 'a.kundu@qub.ac.uk’mailto:‘a.kundu@qub.ac.uk’. The matters relating to the Rhino plug-in should appear in Rhino Forum in the public domain. On your thesis topic, I desire to use emails.

Best wishes. Ajoy

Hi all,

A bit of an update due to requests to have it split into components. This doesnt do much to the efficiency of the generation so Ill work on that but here is an updated interface:

As shown, you can choose which components to build