Paneling Tool issue with seamless pattern on curved surface

Hi All,

I am using Rhino 5 with paneling tools. I have created a pattern and applied it to the surface but I can’t get the pattern to repeat without creating a crease and the distortion of the pattern edge appears to be faceted. Can anyone advise whether I am doing something wrong. I have used a work around by using flow along surface command but this is a little restrictive.PanelPattern

Appreciate any advice

Nathalie

Hi, can you post your solution?

Hi Rajaa,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not have a solution… the only thing I can think of is using flow along surface so it moulds to the shape of the surface but then I can’t alter the distance that the pattern repeats, so not really what I want to do. Is it possible to produce with panelling tools?

Many thanks

Nathalie

Did you produce the image above? If so, can you share how you got to it?

Hi Rajaa,

I have attached the 2 files, Example A using panelling tools (original jpeg image) and then also Example B the flow along surface version. Although B is seamless and follows the curved surface I’m restricted by the distribution of the pattern.

Many thanks for looking at this for me
PanelPatternExampleA.3dm (17.1 MB)
PanelPatternExampleB.zip (15.2 MB)

Best wishes
Nathalie

The flowAlongSrf is definatly what I would go with. You can control the distribution on that flat panels, and simply flow afterwards. What variation are you looking at that the FlowAlongSrf is too restrictive for?

Hi Rajaa,

Thank you again for your reply.

What I love about paneling tools is that it makes it quick to control how you want the points to vary on complex surfaces and blending custom patterns, especially on organic shapes. I guess it is really about ease of use and also it seems more memory intensive to use FlowAlongSrf and I sometimes struggle to render the viewport when I use it.

I was also wondering whether using grasshopper would be an option? I’ve seen many seamless patterns on organic shapes but does this work with custom panels, allowing me to use the surface pattern I created.

Many thanks

Nathalie

The way to get a smooth morphing is to select the bounding surfaces. There are 2 ways to do it in PanelingTools, but in both cases in can take longer to excute based on the complexity and density of the pattern:
1- Under ptOrientToGrid, select one grid (on surface), and the base surface. It will use the height of your module.
2- If you need a height defined by a second bounding grid (as in your example), you need to create a second bounding surface (offset the base surface), and in ptPanel3DCustom, select both bounding surfaces.

PT-GH work a lot like PT-Rhino, but with an added control of patterns and grid portions to morph to.

Hi Rajaa,

Unfortunately, when try the 1st option, it crashes before it completes.

With the second option, I think I must be doing something wrong. as I can’t seem to create a smooth morph. I’ve offset the base surface but when I go to select the 2 surfaces, it doesn’t allow me to hit enter… it jumps straight to object selection.

Is there a video tutorial showing the smooth morphing with ptPanel3DCustom? Perhaps I am just missing something.

I really appreciate all your help and advice

Many thanks

Nathalie

Hi,
When the input is a complex polysurface, morphing can take long time and you might run out of memory. If you know you are 3d printing your result for example, and also during concept stage, try to use meshes when possible as modules. Those morph much faster to at least give you an idea of the result.

Attach is an example of the steps for smooth morphing using ptPanel3DCustom:

ptPanel3DCustom Example.zip (322.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi Rajaa,

You are a star! Thank you :slight_smile: Using the mesh was much faster. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to open your file as I’m running Rhino 5 but your instructions were really helpful.

I replicated the file you posted and used a cylinder and it worked perfectly but then when I use a conical shape for the surface boundaries the module doesn’t seem to pull to the edges of the 2 surfaces. The result was one end looking faceted and when using the custom panel I created, it tends to look pointed where each module touches.

Is it possible to achieve what I am trying without FlowAlongSrf?

Thank you for all advice and help

Nathalie

Could you share a file?