Optimal stacking of objects in Rhino 7

Hello, beginner user here (not familiar with python or grasshopper but willing to learn it if I need to.)

I’m looking to stack these amphoras of different sizes, starting with a layer of alternating rounded amphoras standing upright followed by a layer of narrower amphoras stacked on their side inbetween the necks of the layer below.

It’s a fresh hell trying to do it by hand. What’s the better way? If it’s a macro or grasshopper, please give as much detail as you can so I can look up all the commands and terminology.

thanks, stay safe

LW_Mixed_stacking.zip (13.3 MB)

Hello - it seems like maybe, if the objects and stacking are uniform, you can do this once the hard way and then repeat the group of 5 or 6 (two horizontals) as needed.

-Pascal

This is good reason to make interactive Clash command. If we could see the clearance while moving the amphoras, we could stack them easily.

Thanks for the thoughts

if the objects and stacking are uniform, you can do this once the hard way and then repeat the group of 5 or 6 (two horizontals) as needed.

Yeah, it was working well when it was uniform but with the mixed stacking it’s become a matter of moving the object a tenth of a millimetre of a time in order to find three points of contact on the one below, and I was hoping there was a faster option.

This is good reason to make interactive Clash command. If we could see the clearance while moving the amphoras, we could stack them easily.

I currently live and die by the Clash function. Without it, I’d be lost. But moving it a hair’s breadth and checking clash and repeating just feels inefficient.

HI Luise -

Solid collisions and gravity is something that you can do with Bongo 3 but you need to have a Bongo 2 license to be able to use the WIP. You could try doing it with Kangaroo, but based on this comment, that is tricky and might not be stable -

-wim

Thank you, I’ll look into it!