Opposite of Attractor?

Hello,

I have what seems like it should be a simple GH problem but can’t seem to find an existing solution.

I have a point field generated over a surface, and I would like to basically push points away from particular curves. Any ideas on combinations of components that I could use to essentially make a DEtractor?

Thanks!

Invert your vectors and values. Look at the remap and reverse components. Further help may come once you upload a file.

@Michael_Pryor

Here is the script I am using; only the purple highlighted section is what I am concerned with at the moment. The items I want to push the points away from are referenced in the curve component. I assume I can use a divide curve to get representative points to use in the attractor. I tried going that route and didn’t get any result whatsoever. I’m pretty inexperienced with GH and especially using attractors. I know they can be used to scale, but I would hope they could be used to push/pull as well.

Tool 4.22.gh (42.2 KB)
Rhino.3dm (380.1 KB)

Many examples here: Need help using Grasshopper to create dynamic grid of points

I looked at that thread and tried Pufferfish (pinch n spread), but I’m not really getting any kind of result. That thread appears to have a more complex goal than what I’m trying to do.

have a point field generated over a surface, and I would like to basically push points away from particular curves.

Maybe you need some better description. Everything in that thread does exactly what you describe.

I’ve described my goal as clearly as possible, it’s very simple in theory. I am just not getting an outcome when trying pufferfish at its greatest strength. Barely anything happens. I’ve read through that entire thread, but this is where my inexperience becomes problematic…since I am not trying to accomplish exactly what that script is, I am having a difficult time translating it to my purposes.

Thank you for responding nonetheless. I will ask my peers who are more familiar with my objective and are able to explain things to me.

I am just not getting an outcome when trying pufferfish at its greatest strength

Do you mean the component is not working? Here works fine, have you looked at example files?

Anyway based on the link I already sent you can do something like this, which is what you describe " have a point field generated over a surface, and I would like to basically push points away from particular curves."

PushPointsCurve.gh (16.6 KB)

Based on those images, that is not exactly what I want to do; I am essentially trying to create an easement, around selected curves, in which there would be no points at all.

So do you mean to cull(remove) points?

CullPointsCurve.gh (12.5 KB)

A sketch of your goal would help.

I don’t want to remove the points…just push them away a certain distance.

If I start with 200 points in the field, I still want to have 200 points at the end, but I want a clearance around the selected detractor.

SpreadPointsCurve.gh (13.9 KB)

That looks like what I’m going for. Just one more thing, can you summarize what steps you’re taking here? I need to be able to understand the reasoning behind placing each component in this script. I just need to know what is going on after the surface divide since I’m generating points a different way.

It looks like you’re using the curve to pull the points, but I’m not sure what the number slider and the other components after are.

Thanks.

SpreadPointsCurve.gh (13.8 KB)

1 Like