On site chat/hangout for quick questions

Hi, just a thought. Would it work if there was a simple chat function on the main page where you can ask quick questions, hang out, have general discussions?

The process of making a post works fine for in dept questions but for small questions it would be nice if we could ask for help and chat as if we were in the same room/building. (Maybe this chat function has some requirements for practical reasons, like being around for longer than one day.)

Just plug ChatGPT into the forum… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Topics on ChatGPT was all i could find when searching for my question haha. Are you telling me it can answer Grasshopper related questions?

Okay, i tried it and it works. That’s pretty wild. I will certainly use it next time i have a small question.

But quite the opposite of the social experience of chatting with peers however… We now need this chat function to talk about how we are going to protect ourselves from being automated, hehehe.

PS: it wasn’t actually able solve my question! Pfew…

My question was how to turn a list such as
{A;B;C;D}
{A;B;C;D;E}
into
{A;B;C;D}
{A;B;C;D}

It just made up a whole new component: Subtree

Yep, it doesn’t actually know anything, it just scrapes stuff it finds on the internet, both right and wrong answers.

Yep, if it doesn’t find a suitable answer, it just makes stuff up. In a different thread, it suggested rhinoscriptsyntax methods that don’t exist either.

2 Likes

Now we need to teach ChatGPT to honestly say “I don’t know”. Also we need to teach people saying “I don’t know”! That’s the next level skill.

3 Likes

Or it can search for unreleased plugins !.. :scream:

2 Likes

Dubio, ergo sum

1 Like

Btw, i think this thread going off topic supports the value of my original suggestion

2 Likes

There’s the unofficial Grasshopper Discord:

3 Likes

Looks good, thanks!

No. The “quick question” is a newbie myth.

And In this vibrant community there is not such things like"Quick, Stupid or Dumb" questions.
We like to disagree and it’s a good thing.

For certain questions there might be an easy “quick answer” though. However there are often a half-dozen or more “answers”. “Answers” also differ from “solutions” - of which there are also frequently many.

1 Like

People asking questions are generally not qualified to determine whether or not a question has a quick answer. The term “quick question” implies simple and easy to answer, which is often not the case.

1 Like

Dunno, I often reply to ‘quick questions’ here with a one-line ‘quick answer’.

2 Likes

One could have the view that this would be a bad idea as it would facilitate too many unscrupulous, offensive, soliciting and degenerative remarks, questions, opinions, political arguments… yadda yadda yadda… the sort of trash that belongs to other places - like ‘social’ media. This place is a relief, as it just focuses on one thing - the software we stare at everyday, occasionally moving the wrists to press with index finger to click menus, to click buttons, to pan, to dream, to get frustrated and stuff like that.

1 Like

Having given it some more thought i must say i think you are right. It always seems desirable to be able to do things in realtime, to do more in less time, but that is also what is demanded of us and what social media feed off. I understand this forum can feel like a relief. And otherwise there is the more realtime Discord community. :+1: