OBJ import

Hi All

I have been struggling with a problem for a while now. Whenever I import an OBJ file to Rhino, surfaces always comes out really edgy, also when I try to render.
Is there any correct way to import OBJ files, so the surfaces comes out smooth?

Hello - if these are meshes, as is likely, then their display resolution, so to speak, is fixed, unlike a surface object which can have render meshes of any density. You can Weld meshes to make the faceting go away, is faceting the problem?

-Pascal

Thanks for the replay. The problem is that when I want to render, the surface comes out edgy, which it shouldn’t.

Hi - where does the file originally come from - and how does it look in that application?
Can you post the obj file so that someone can take a look at what’s going on?
Thanks!

Hi! Thanks! The file is from Turbospuid, and looks really smooth in the 3D animation on there site.
When I open it in Rhino it gets all edgy, which I kind of expected as Rhino isn’t always good with OBJ’s, but it the same problem happens when I open it in Keyshot.
I worked around it a bit by editing the geometry in Keyshot, but it didn’t entirely fix the problem.

Food_Packaging_02_OBJ.rar (19.1 MB)

Hello - this looks fine here as far as I can see - I’m not sure yet what the problem is at your end…

-Pascal

Hi again

Thanks for your answer, I realize that it’s small details but I still think that it a bit edgy en some places.

Bag
I want to have the surface 100 smooth as it would be in real life. I can’t imaging this isn’t possible?
Could it be my graphic card?

• Michell

is quite edgy due to the low poly count. I guess you can sculpt a bit in another programs like Meshmixer or Sculptris

Or, Subdivde in Rhino - there will be many more polygons though. I’d set ‘SubdivisionCount’ to 1.

-Pascal

1 Like