Need help script to export .3dm rhino 5 version

rhino
grasshopper
python

(I A) #1

Hi everybody , I’m a jewelry designer and I’m using rhino for almost all of the process.

I’ve been rhino 4, 5 user while now I’ve moved to rhino 6.

I’ve encountered a couple of issues that I’m not able to solve.

1- I realized that all of my phyton scripts doesn’t work anymore . The scripts starts with import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs but now it appears like rhino is not able to understand it anymore and it fails to understand the import command.
Do you have any idea how I can sort it ?
Is it possibly anything related to having grasshoper installed ?

2- I’m use to export each new model and process it as .3dm in Materialize Magics but for some reason Magics 22 doesn’t load the .3dm version 6 .
I’d like to create a button which I can use to export the selected object as a rhino 5 .3dm .
Any idea how I can explicit the export options so that it can be forced to be rhino 5 ?
Is there a way I can set it on the advanced tab of the preference menu ?

thanks a lot to everybody of you taking time to suggest ideas :slightly_smiling_face:

bye

Something wrong there - Python scripts that ran in V5 should run fine in V6 (with perhaps a couple of minor exceptions). If import rhinoscriptsyntax is failing, there is a problem with the installation. And no, it should not have anything to do with GH being installed - GH for V6 is installed automatically, as it is part of Rhino now, you do not need to download and install it anymore.

Do you have the following folder on your computer?

C:\Users\<your username>AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\IronPython (814d908a-e25c-493d-97e9-ee3861957f49)

If yes, does it have a subfolder settings/lib/rhinoscript ?

If so, does the folder look something like this?

In the script editor (EditPythonScript) under Tools>Options>Files do you have the following two paths listed?

C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\IronPython\Lib

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-ins\IronPython (814d908a-e25c-493d-97e9-ee3861957f49)\settings\lib

You can make a toolbar button or alias with the following…

! _-Export _Pause _Version=5 _Browse

I don’t think so…

–Mitch

(I A) #3

woow . thanks a lot , Mitch . I’ll try everything tomorrorw in the office .

(I A) #4

Everything tested .

My phyton scripts are ok in rhino 6 but they still doesn’t work in rhino 5.

The export command works in rhino 5 but doesn’t in rhino 6.

I’m very confused

Hmm, scripting the Export command seems the same in V6 as in V5, except for one command line option that was added to save Notes (which can be ignored in this case). The following works here in both V5 and V6:

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
objs=rs.AllObjects(select=True)

comm_opts='_Version=5 _SaveSmall=_No _GeometryOnly=_No _SaveTextures=_No _SavePlugInData=_No'
rs.Command('_-Export {} "D:\\Desktop\\ExportTest.3dm"'.format(comm_opts))

Maybe you can post a bit of code that is not working for you…?

(I A) #6

Sure I can share a rope making script …not nice but consistent …i’ll Do In the next days just for the pleasure to share .

For the moment I tried the script in rhino 6 and I’ve got it read as import command …so basically it just read the import word without all the rest ???