My Feedback regarding gradient hatch

What’s wrong with someone doing MEP calculation for architects?
It takes 5 years to learn it and some practice too.

1 Like

because architects should know how to do it, that is my key point here.

…design MEP by themselves… like here? :laughing:

It has always been that way. An engineer is required to sign off on anything much larger than a single family house before it gets built…

BTW, if all you see about architecture is sketching and design, you haven’t been looking deep enough. These days an architecture program in a university includes:

• sketching and design of course (including some parametrics)
  • urban planning
  • legal aspects (local and international)
  • social studies (local and international) including politics
  • ecology and environment
  • economy
  • marketing

and a bunch of other stuff…

Architecture is a vast and extremely complex subject these days with 6 years of study and uncountable all-nighters required. It may not require complex math/physics calculations, but the skills it does require (to be a good one) are just as complex and hard to learn.

4 Likes

Exactly!

So true (can be more than 6 years, though).

Philip

6 years is standard here for a masters (required to practice). You can of course go for a PHD, which is another 6 years or so… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a matter of principle.
I guess it’s me, but I think people tend to think they have nothing more to learn too early in their lives.

I’m a curious person, and never stop learning, and not just one field.

Yes, sorry - I should have said “in Finland”…

Philip

I would venture to guess that your daily practice of Naval Architecture may not encompass what every Naval Architect does. I was a practicing Naval Architect for 10 years and our firm contracted artists to create some of the effects that you can get with gradient hatches for both proposal work and post project illustrations. I’ve also spoken with other Naval Architecture firms over the years that use products like Illustrator or Affinity to achieve some of these effects that they would like to be able to do directly in Rhino. I personally don’t see this feature as targeted toward any one specific industry. It just may not be useful to you which is fine and is also why we try to develop many features in parallel.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Jorgen; keep it coming.

Yes, that is a problem with how our properties tab is laid out in that general object properties like color and layer are on a separate button. I don’t have a decent solution at the moment, but point definitely taken.

Seems like a bug to me; I’ll need to test this out. Making a youtrack issue for now as a reminder
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-57402

My initial guess is that this is a transparency sorting bug. Are all of these hatches in the same plane?

Hi @stevebaer,

Still, no one has answered to me “How is using materials not the same as using gradient-hatches”.

Not at all, I’m a consultant. My job is to know many of the Naval Architect and Marine Engineers tasks and help them improve/optimize their workflows and processes with what software they have available.
For this I’m getting familiar with many software and their many functionalities and automation possibilities and searching for applicability of these functionalities.

What effects exactly? Exterior painting of the ship? Interior decorations? These are most of the time coming from ship owner’s team.

Defining things like multiple color stops can be difficult with materials. It is also not where many users would go when they don’t do much rendering work.

For us, this was typically for early proposal type images to convey that this is not the final product or to show “zones” in which had some margin. I don’t have any samples, sorry. It’s been a long time.

This doesn’t bring any particular pictures. At least nothing that requires gradient stuff. If you have textures and a decent background, even simple colors should suffice. Unless you want to mask lack of ship’s elements with pictures like decals. And you use gradient-hatches for this? I don’t know I still don’t see usefulness in this.

A lot of the project/proposal/early work was done in 2D with lines and curves along with hatches used to achieve some effects.

That is not the case nowadays.

Here at the yard I’m working currently there is a plan to move to completely paperless design. There is a 3d model that you look at at the workshop, not drawings.

Ok, I give up.

3 Likes

It is plain obvious that the influence of “ground” architects on Rhino development is huge. Even the CGI sector doesn’t get that attention.

Isn’t it better to try and improve the tools that other industries will cherish and come back to Rhino instead of focusing on that same one? They are already on the hook, they will continue to buy Rhino. I think it will be smarter to try and bring more people from the other industries.

You know probably the the main usage of Rhino in a lot of companies, including Ship Design ones, is to merely translate one 3d modeling format to another. Why do you think that is?

That isn’t the case with virtually all of my 1000+ clients… and they’re not all architects.

I’m very interested of a breakdown. Which ones How many are and on which Rhino version?

Hi @ivelin.peychev, I appreciate your enthusiasm defending what you think Rhino should or shouldn’t be, but IMO you often try to impose your opinion like if It would be the only valid one. There are many kind of works that a designer, an architect in my case, needs to do and 2d graphic documentation is a very important one. For us, having everything integrated within Rhino would be REALLY valuable, so please if people come here asking for these kind of features, please just let us do it. I don’t need fillets 99% of the time and you don’t see me here complaining about why is McNeel wasting resources developing something that most architect don’t need most of the time.

4 Likes