Moving an IK chain

My goal is to move a IK chain mechanism, which works fine as long as the kinematic as a whole stays in place. However, as soon as I make a translation of the IK chain (I vertically move the uppermost parent), the kinematic doesn’t work anymore, I assume because the end of the chain (the lowest child) is a line which acts as a constraint (the “world”) to the IK chain’s kinematic, meaning -I assume- that it has a fixed place in the model. Moving the uppermost parent like this basically rips the chain apart when moving)

For the chain to keep working, the lowest child would also need to make the same vertical translation as the uppermost parent so the whole chain moves as a whole, but I can’t assign the uppermost parent (the driver of the vertical movement) as the parent of the lowest child (the line which constrains the IK chain’s kinematic), since the lowest child is already linked to the parent right above it (the second-lowest child). (following the Bongo rule that each child can only have a single parent)

How to solve this??

I assume the mechanism that you want to translocate is ‘driven’ by its head, and that its initial motion is a rotation.

In that case the solution for you problem is to put the entire mechanism on a ‘train’.
This ‘train’ consists of a locomotive and a trailer – the trailer is child of the locomotive. The head of the initial mechanism is to be made child of the locomotive. The end of the main mechanism is to be constrained to the trailer instead of to the World. Both locomotive and trailer can be a line or a point object (which are finally not rendered – you can even hide them)

ArmanFisette2.3dm (45.3 KB) is a illustration. The ‘train’ is on Layer 01.

Luc