Modular Panels placement

Hello guys! I have created 9 perforated squre panels and i want to apply\repeat them on a surface with one opening.

Then I would like to create a system that organizes the small panels in this order —( panles with more perforations >> closer to the opeding of the surface.

re_rect_facade (2).gh (20.9 KB)
Modulo-rosa2.3dm (736.0 KB)

here is my take, but be aware that this is a dirty prototype, just a concept

[relevant geometries are internalized, you won’t need the Rhino file]

re_rect_facade_anubis.gh (66.2 KB)

first important thing, as suggested by Japhy in the twin discussion on this topic:

The geometry needed to be moved to 0,0

in this case the geometries were not moved to 0,0,0, but were just overlapped one onto each other, in such a way one single reference plane can orient them all:

then I have assumed the way you want to control “which panel goes where” depends on a grouping of panels that is done through a wise manual selection, so part A of the definition lets you decide which index of which panel goes into which group (you can create more or less groups etc, just add inputs to the Entwine)

when you determine the above panel grouping, panels have been already sorted by their area, which means that panel “0” is the one that covers the less area, while panel “8” is the one that covers the most area

I thought you might want to have variety of panels for each group, in such a way you have a non-abvious distribution along the different areas of your surface, also having some in-between panels belonging to several groups (like panel 3 and 7 belonging to two different groups) might help in that sense… you decide [btw, groups with just 2 panels will look bad, as they are just an ABAABBABAABAABBBAAABBABAABA repetition]

in this case I have defined 4 groups of panels

panelization happens in a very bad way (fast and dirty), but that is a detail you can always sort out yourself by just searching the dozens of discussion available in this forum :slight_smile:

I have added an input that contains the boundary curve of the opening in the wall: it makes things easier

B and C are tightly linked together, they allow you to play on the areas of the wall where the panels will be randomly distributed:
[actually… you don’t really need B as you can manually edit the domain of the graph editor in C… anyways…]

D is the seed that shuffles and randomly decides which available panel of a given group is distributed inside the available spots of that area in the wall: by playing with it you will get different combinations (actually you could control the seed of each area separately… just plug more grafted sliders if you want to do that)
-I’m a bit ashamed of using the shortest list component to “limit the damage” of creating so many duplicates… there are for sure better ways to generate a list with the correct length in one shot, but my hands where moving by themselves-

if you want to preview each kind of panel by a unique color, just switch E:

I took a bit of time to understand everything! It’s very good because now I can change the panel size also.

I was wondering if there is a way to also rotate the panels close to the openings.

rotation zones

yes, for sure rotation can be controlled or randomized per existing zone, or by creating their “custom” zones, or by a gradient

but you mean rotating by steps of 90 degrees, am I right?
if you rotate panels by custom degrees, won’t they do like the following?

I was thinking to rotate them in the Y axis and also if you can show how to apply the first definition on a curbed surface would be fantastic>!

they are rotating around the Y axis :slight_smile:

for that you’ll need to panel the surface first, I advice to start from here: Search results for 'paneling surface' - McNeel Forum

1 Like

Thank you!