Modelling softer objects (upholstery etc)

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for modelling upholstery, cushions, curtains etc, I have searched around but not found anything useful. Are there any tutorials on this ? What commands, workflow would be the right direction to go ? I do not use T-splines or the like, so if I could get some reasonable results in Rhino that would be great :slight_smile:. Thanks in advance

(Pascal Golay) #2

Hi Miles - this is a partial answer at best, but it may inspire some further investigation- see if the attached file helps at all.

Simple Tufted Upholstery.3dm (1.2 MB)

-Pascal

There are some other posts where someone did some pleating, I cannot find it right now.

But I found this post

It can be tedious, but it can be done

«Randy

…I didn’t know that OrientOnSrf worked in that way. I thought it was just rigid. All this time I’ve been messing around with Splop and Flow when I could have thrown some things on a model quick and easy like.

Just goes to show how useful this forum is (for those of us who haven’t been through every command and function of the package)

Andy

There is also this thread

More info on pleating a sofa / chesterfield / couch etc…

thanks @rhinorudi , it seems it possible but quite a tedious process looking at those sofas :slight_smile:

thanks Pascal, yes thats not a bad approach, hopefully a few more forum users might add their own workflow for creating such objects :slight_smile:

Yes, it can be, I have a tendency to look at patterns and model sections and work in pieces.

T-Splines is not that simple either. Rebuilding a bracelet means lots of edge & point manipulation.

Working on this beach sand texture flat with Sweeps, History on & off , then they wanted it on a double curved surface. No T-Splines, just straight Rhino. Sometimes tedium is zen.

Good luck and one step at a time.

«Randy

I hear that… T-Splines can be a pain. It takes a while to get the hang of sub-d.

It was a pain to work out the stitching:

So I had to remodel to get the right pucker from the needle and threadr:

I just have to put them together and hopefully it’ll look ok :confused:

Andy

(you know that you’re either getting old or getting too involved when you have to dig out the jewellers’ loupe to see detail you’re trying to mimic!)

So True! Nice work!

[EDIT: added a curtain model , this should give you some ideas how to start.[quote=“milezee, post:1, topic:40741”]
point me in the right direction for modelling upholstery, cushions, curtains etc
[/quote]
Curtains.3dm (2.5 MB)]

thanks :slight_smile: , yes Ive been playing with curtains, probably the easiest to model, I think a cushion with a few creases etc requires a bit more editing, and full upholstery on a sofa definitely time consuming

It’s not perfect but here’s a cushion idea. A simple sweep 2 with one of the curtain curves and a squashed sphere for a button.

Cushion.3dm (4.7 MB)

I did one quarter and then an Array Polar, not lined up though because I just moved the simple one off to the right.

Practise building one or 2 things and then you have that technique in your tool belt.

cheers :slight_smile: , yes discovering a few different ways now, it might not be T-splines or MODO but definitely adequate for what I need :slight_smile:

(Pascal Golay) #14

Hi MIles - here’s another one from the attic:

Pillow_PG.3dm (128.0 KB)

-Pascal

Hi milezee,
I’m currently using Blender (freeware) with its cloth simulation engine and then importing it to Rhino via *.fbx format. There are many tutorials on youtube, it’s quite simple, and you can even import it with textures mapped on.

Unrelated question. How did you get the items to show rendered and wireframe in the same view, when the display settings are wireframe?

(Pascal Golay) #17

Hi Dennis - SetObjectDisplayMode

-Pascal

Awesome thanks. As a note I think it would be nice for that to show up in the object properties palette.

yep, that works quite well, thanks Pascal, even renders up ok in Rhino :slight_smile:

hello milezee (and others),
i agree with jonish. i tried a lot of furniture modeling but never got any convincing results for softbodies with nurbs. imho the way to go is polygonal modeling / physics simulation. i do it in 3ds max, but blender surely works perfecty too.
i attach some pics of professional 3d-models, i downloaded for free at https://www.designconnected.com/. they sell great models, but also have some free stuff to download (textured, ready to render). my own results are far below their quality, but i use them as a challenge.
some of the pics show the polygon structure, which to my mind cannot be done “by hand”.