Modelling a ring from a earring piece

GP.3dm (19.1 MB) Hi rhino forum,

So first of all i don’t want this thread to sound like “do this for me because i can’t do it” or “do this for me because i say so”. I really need help in doing this and i think i tried all the commands i know to do it.
Basically i need to model a ring out of this earring piece that i modelled and i just don’t know how to approach this because i always get problems while modelling it. The prongs don’t touch the stone housing thus not being solid, the stone housing morphs, parts that don’t touch etc…
The ring should look something like this:

I think, again, that i’m missing something in the workflow, maybe because i’m not a professional and learned all by myself or maybe there is some secret command that i don’t know of.
I would be greatly apprecciated if someone could show me how to do it or just give me some tips.
Sorry if this post sounds like i’m asking too much but i just can’t do this by myself.
Even though i’ve been using rhino since 2018 sometimes i get this projects where i just can’t come up with a valid modelling approach and get stuck on it for weeks.
Again sorry, sorry, sorry

Simone

Ahhh, Simone, Simone, Simone. Everyone here, from beginners to the most expert, has had situations like yours. There’s no need for a lot of apologetic groveling, and it’s very unbecoming. :grin: It just makes additional reading for your potential helpers, who would like just the essential information that defines your concern.

You have touched on some of these:
Your experience level and that you, like many of us, are self-taught.
A statement of your goal and what kind of help you could use.
The sketch and .3dm

Additional useful info might be which Rhino version and whether Windows or Mac as this might have some influence on the commands available for you to use.

I don’t design jewelry so don’t think I can offer any useful advice about your concern, but I know there are many readers here who can.

Hi
I’m no Rhino expert, so there are possibly better options,
But I’m a goldsmith.
You can FlowAlongSrf your earring.
Naturally it will stretch with the setting becoming oval, and the prongs thicker at the top end.
so you can then scale the width a bit to get the setting round again [ the centre one you’ll need to do separately] and then sub-object select the outer rim and scale it so it is touching the prongs.
You can also sub-object select the top of the prongs and scale it down so they are not tapered, [about 70%]. and you can play with this more to get it all round.
But then the parts don’t properly intersect so more sub-object selections and extending parts…
Maybe best will be to individually exchange each prong and setting with a now one, and manually put then in the right position, and then delete the stretched original settings and prongs.
This way you’ll get more precise parts that fits your stones.

HTH
Akash

Flowed_GP.3dm (1.7 MB)

2 Likes

Or you can combine the rigid option for the prongs and setting
and then connect it all
see here

Flowed_Rigid_Combi_GP.3dm (143.5 KB)

1 Like

a rigid combination would be the way to go

GP-flow.3dm (10.4 MB)

1 Like

I agree with @Akash and if you work with RecordHistory enabled, you can make some adjustments on the base surface to tweak the flowed objects

Yes I realised that after my first reply, thanks.
Can you please show more clearly which curve you used?
I tried to flow on a Srf and that results in gaps between the parts.

thanks
Akash

Yes of course ; the objective curve, I have stolen .8% of its real length due to the arc of the radius, although it seems to me that it was too much, the percentage can be reduced until they are lightly touched to create the correct fusion

@simon_falze I cannot open your Rhino 6 file as I am on 5 but hope this example helps. You can minimize that distortion in critical areas in some cases by using this method.

Create a new straight flow curve and in front view raise it up to the level of the area of the model you want the least distortion. In this case I have aligned it just below the table of the gems.

Measure the distance up and then offset your ring curve by that amount.

Now change the length of the top straight curve to the circumference of the new offset curve. When you flow using the two new curves the model will distort down onto the finger rather than up from it.

This is the distortion I got when I used the ring gauge curve to flow, distorting from the finger outwards. You can clearly see the gems and claws are stretched.

Hope I have explained that well enough and it is of some help. It might be the same as one of the others solutions offered but I cannot open their files either I would think…and reading in a bit of a hurry. Will not work in all cases but might give you some ideas of other solutions.

cheers,
Sochin

2 Likes

Thank you all for the replies!
I would give the solution to all of you but since i can only give one i think that Sochin gave one of the greatest command tip/hack that i’ve seen so far.
It works like a charm and the distorsion is almost unnoticeable.
It’s really golden

Cheers,
Simone

1 Like

Yes this is very good and simple.
Thank you, I also learned a couple of new things here.
cheers

Akash

1 Like

Thank you Eliel
Thats a very nice way to flow keeping the setting bases fully flat which can make it a little easer to set the gemstones more precisely in the exact Normal direction
best regards
Akash

1 Like