I’m contemplating upgrading to a Surface Studio. These are the graphic card options. Any downsides to these particular cards? There are no Quadro options but I’m not sure if that’s really a problem.
- i5 Intel 8GB: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5 memory
- i7 Intel 16GB: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5 memory
- i7 Intel 32GB: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5 memory
Aternatively, there is the Surface Book 2 with this:
- 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8650U quad-core processor, 4.2GHz Max Turbo
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 graphics memory
Which seems better?
The machine with GTX 1060.
All the other GPUs are mobile versions and quite a bit underpowered.
Funny. That’s the one in the laptop!
Right, a laptop with a full GPU is possible, probably a proper gaming laptop or high-end work horse.
The GTXs with the M at the end are the mobile GPUs.
I always like to check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
Thanks. One more thing: Xeon or i7(or better) chip?
The GTX 1060 in the Surface Book is also a mobile version and is clocked slightly slower than the desktop equivalent (since the 10xx series, Nvidia use the same model name for both desktop and mobile versions).
Thanks for the heads-up! It seemed odd to me that the laptop would have a better card than the desktop.
It’s probably close enough to the 980M for it not to be a deal breaker if you want a laptop rather than the Studio.