MeshCompare component in Volvox - "Key" input

Hello all!

I’m comparing a mesh in Rhino with a point could extracted from the 3D printed model, in order to analyze the displacement and the errors in the process (from digital to physical) and through time.
Now, I think the best way to do it was to use “MeshCompare” from Volvox plugin, which allows me to simply compare the mesh and the pointcloud giving me a distance as output.
There’s also a third input which is the “key” and it has to be a text. I guess, correct me if I’m mistaken, it’s the parameter that’s gonna define what distance I’m gonna get as output, but I really don’t know how to extract this key and how it should be set up.

Do you know how it’s gonna be related to the output?

I’m also attaching the gh script and 3 screenshots from the Rhino viewport. (01=the original points cloud, 02=the “clean” points clouds to be compared with the mesh. 03=the overlap between clean points cloud and the mesh).

2 Likes

Hi, Did you find the solution? I am facing the same difficulties.

There are several ways here is one:

3 Likes

Hi @Petras_Vestartas could you give a few more examples of the key input?. Is CPMesh related to the closest point?
@francesco.polvi were you able to find a solution?

Hello Petras, thanks for this.
Did you segment your point cloud first before running this analysis?

Yes it was cropped by a mesh.

Thank you!

Hello Petras

I have successfully segmented my point cloud using meshes derived from the faces of my Revit model.
I ran the Mesh Compare node, and everything seems to work well. However, when I try colouring the point cloud with the distance values, I get the error “Solution exception: Index was outside the bounds of the array.” Please can you let me know what I might be doing wrong here?
I am relatively new to Grasshopper, so apologies if it is obvious. Thank you.

All figured out, thank you.