Mesh Offset

Hi Everyone,

I`m having some problems thickening the attached mesh for 3d-Printing. The Original Mesh seems to be fine, no naked edges, no manifold edges, etc… Offsetting the mesh to the interior produces pretty bad self intersections. Is there any way to avoid these? Any Help/Feedback would be greatly appreciated…

The Original Mesh can be found here (Mesh Offset)

Best,
K.

Original Mesh

Offset Mesh

u need to weld the vertices,try to clean up the mesh before you offset it. unwelded mesh will break apart when u do an offset operation.
and one thing, inward offset is kinda tricky because if you set offset distance too high, you will have overlapping geometry.

in this case I would scale my geometry down first and then do an outward offset. (if you dont mind having slightly larger chamfer)

from which software you exported your mesh?
in my opinion it is better to have mesh with clean topology (uniform faces all across and preferably Quads) so you might need to tweak the setting first before you bring it to rhino.

to make sure u get it right, check the vertices count before you export it, and make sure you got the same number of vertices once you bring ur model to Rhino.

hope that helps

Hello
I propose you use Grasshopper. I updated the script in order to heal your mesh and also to give you the possibility to add offset in real unit.
See

Thanks Laurent, this is a very useful definition, and it seems to work just fine for my purposes!
Best,
Klaus

Weaverbird can give you a lot of great mesh tools, interesting for you could be _wbOffset and _wbThicken.

http://www.giuliopiacentino.com/weaverbird/

Thanks Micha, Weaverbird still produces the same problems as Rhino-Offset. I think in my case Isosurfacing is the way to go as it`s just the “invisible” inner offset I’m after…