Mesh for FE Analysis using QuadRemesh

Thank you for your feedback @scottd.

I am currently using Strand7 as FE software and I am quite happy with it. The analyses deal with structural mechanics problems (not CFD) and always include non linearities, both geometrical and of material (e.g. plasticity). In the list of software you posted, I only know Sofistik and more or less it has the same features of Strand7.

The issue here is not run analysis, but how to create a FE-model in a parametric way. To date, I can build in Rhinoceros / Grasshopper wonderful parametric geometries, however every time I do a modification on the geometry I have to update the numerical model. The main problem is that I am not able to properly manage 2D elements (meshes) directly in Rhinoceros. As far as I understood, Sofistik interface for Rhinoceros performs meshing of a geometry by itself and it re-imports the mesh again in Rhino (FEA analysis. Seeding lines, points to the remesher).

If I would have a proper finite element mesh in Rhinoceros I could build a model in Strand7 in a quite straightforward way by scripting (in Python, for instance) directly from Rhinoceros. However I am not even able to call Strand7 mesher from within Rhinoceros and I need an additional step to create the mesh. I am currently thinking how to do this additional step; I could do at Python level using one of the open-source mesher (triangle, tetgen, mmg, gmsh, meshpy, …), but this requires an additional effort that I would like to avoid.

I felt free to open a thread in this forum because in Rhino 7 Feature: QuadRemesh it is stated that QuadRemesh can be used to generate mesh for finite element purposes. However if this feature is not able to manage a simple 2D geometry like the one above, then in my opinion it is failing and it should be improved.

It is also possible that I missed a way to properly manage meshes in Rhinoceros, in this case I kindly ask you to provide hints.

I highly appreciate the effort of Rhinoceros developer team for their great job and the time spent to support user community.

Thank you for your consideration,

Massimiliano

1 Like