Marine Design with Grasshopper

Hello Grasshoppers,
I just managed to create this program for the creation of shell plate templates with assigned names and markings. If this helps any of you in your workflow feel free to drop me a message. Any feedback is more than helpful.

In the below link you can find a preview for the template creation.

Rhino and Grasshopper for Marine Design - Template Creation - YouTube

Well … I would strongly suggest to use a true solid modeler for that kind of stuff (CATIA/Siemens NX and the likes). Designing things like these is far more complex and in fact a feature driven (or a hybrid) MCAD [+ FEA] is the way to go. Hard to see any real-life usage of the so called Parametric approach.

Open the attached with Acrobat Reader DC (the 32 bit : Acrobat messed - as usual - things very badly with the DX on the 64 bit) and using the Model Tree (*) exploit parts and their relations with various others.

171_hull-hull-011.pdf (4.6 MB)

(*) for the hull assembly turn off References (Model Tree) …

… and then exploit classes of objects (sampled in Layers since 3dPDF doesn’t understand an iota from assemply/component concepts).

2 Likes

Hi Peter,
i totally agree with you. The complexity of a hull construction is mind blowing. As far as new construction is concerned i think the softwares you are refering to is a must (not the best).
Although the intent of this program is to save design time in case of a ship repair, where you only have some 2d drawings and you have to 3d model the damaged area of the ship and export all the necessary output for the production. All the solid model is done in rhino and a feature driven software is not necessary for this kind of stuff.

Hello Grasshoppers,
| Inverse Bending |
A very efficient way of giving the appropriate production info for a profile that needs to be bended in a certain way. Of course i had to make a program for that! :slight_smile:
Any feedback is more than helpful.

In the below link you can find a preview for the inverse bending.

Rhino and Grasshopper for Marine Design - Inverse Bending - YouTube