M2 Mac and Rhino

Hi,

I just bought a new macbook pro and now realise Rhino won’t open my files due to the M2 chip…
This is a serious and expensive shakeup to my workflow, Are there any specific dates on when Rhino 8 will be released to rectify the issue?

Thanks.

M2 Silicon should open the file just fine. I’m using M1 here and all works just fine.

On M2 here and Rhino 7 work as expected as it was on M1. A bit slow on really large files but still good performances compared to a low/medium Win equivalent.

Make sure your macOS and Rhino are updated to the latest.
If that still doesn’t work, run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the results.

Thanks

Hi, I have encountered a similar issue. I recently bought an M2 pro and the files will open but when I put them in render mode the program goes to “non responsive” and crashes. I have the latest updates both from Mac and rhino. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Kind regards
Malin

Hej Malin -

Did you create those models yourself previously or did you get them from someone else?
Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
-wim

I have not made them from scratch myself. I’ve received them from a coworker.

Hej -

That’s good to know, thanks.

-wim

Another question about M2 Mac & Rhino,
How come it simple flies of 50mb lag so much on the new Apple Silicon despite plenty of available CPU and RAM? This is both on Rhino 7 and 8 WIP?

Hi Marcello -

With the latest optimizations in Rhino 8, that probably shouldn’t be the case.
Can you post (1) a 3dm sample that we can test, and (2) the output of the Rhino SystemInfo command?
-wim