Loft problem

Hi there,

I have a problem with creating a loft in Grasshopper. I am joining every parabolic curve with a half-circle one. Everything looks fine when I look at all the curves that are joined (they are ordered). Maybe a problem with curve directions?

Thanks in advance

loft_forum.gh (15.7 KB)

Here’s a simple solution.

I don’t know anything about how the GH/Rhino functions actually work, so I can’t explain why this works. But I have used this approach many times when working with Loft surfaces.

loft_forum-bb1.gh (28.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks !
The rebuild curve fonction works perfectly. :slightly_smiling_face:

Problem with lofting curves

I am facing similar issues while lofting various curves. Someone please help with this issue. I have tried searching for the problem and a way to work around it and haven’t yet found the solution. The curves from grasshopper when BAKED could be lofted well in RHINO (ref image : White colored object made in RHINO).
Regards, Kartik.

Dynamic Surface Between Two points_v1_KGD.gh (29.1 KB) Dynamic Surface Between Two points_v1_KGD.3dm (361.6 KB)

Welcome @Kartik,

Judging by the screenshot, your curves seem to have the wrong order! Your issue is a little different from @joseph.henry’s, where the curve seams weren’t aligned properly.

When setting/importing, if you preselect a collection of geometries in the Rhino viewport and Set Multiple Curves in Grasshopper, your selection order isn’t respected. Instead, the curves are sorted by creation date and time (?), if I remember correctly. This isn’t a bug, though. It’s just how Rhino/Grasshopper deal with geometries.
Now, if you start in Grasshopper, click on Set Multiple Curves, and then select the curves in a certain order, your choice should be respected, and thus your curves should loft as expected.

thank you , for the reply @diff-arch . I shall try out your suggestion. Hope it works. Thank you.
-kartik

can anyone help me make this loft without the deformation obtained at the end
loft probleme.gh (37.7 KB)

loft probleme_re.gh (35.6 KB)

ohh thank you , it works perfectly. :heart_eyes:

Your first curve is messed up. It’s twice as long as the others and doubles back on itself, with kinks.

loft probleme_2021May6a.gh (37.1 KB)

P.S. That first curve is the only problem here. All the curve flipping code is unnecessary if ‘Loft Options’ | ‘Align sections’ is true.

loft probleme_2021May6b.gh (29.1 KB)

GIGO

yes i noticed that but i could not solve it as i’m new in grasshopper thank you for your help i will keep it in mind specially the loft option :heart_eyes:

what is the the loft problem for these curves
problem.gh (22.5 KB)
Capture

Both of your standard Loft components have ‘Options | Align sections’ checked and work fine.

Fit Loft fails because you haven’t flipped the curves to a consistent direction.

loft_2021_Aug3a.gh (25.2 KB)

Fit Loft also wanted ‘Degree’ (U and V) set to 3.
And the PLine ‘C’ (Closed) input should be False, without the curves connected to it.

2 Likes

thank you :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi there

could anyone help me? when I use interpolate or loft, the points are repeatedly used by them like this image. I have tried to prevent the repeated loft and interpolate but haven’t yet found the solution.

Thanks in advance

Bezier Curve Cave Pavilion.gh (21.3 KB)

Here are other ways…

Bezier Curve Cave Pavilion_re.gh (28.4 KB)

1 Like

If you bake your curves you can see that the last curve has more points than the rest.
Reduce the value 50 to 40 for your radius of your fillets and see what happens…

1 Like

thank you so much! :heart_eyes:

Hi all,

how can I make sure that lofts like this would not happen? How could I fix it?

Thank you!
gh_sort_points.gh (17.5 KB)

Start a new thread. Look more closely at your geometry. What appears at first glance to be four curves is actually 12 curves with short fragments duplicating longer curves. What you are doing after that is a mystery to me, though I can see that the ‘Curve’ input to Sort Along Curve is not internalized. Code, geometry and data trees should make sense every step of the way.

It appears you are doing something like this?