Light Refraction and Dispersion

Hi All,
Just curious if anyone has a technique or workflow to create light dispersion and refraction through a clear material like glass or faceted diamond?
Thanks!

As far as I know, there’s no dispersion in Rhino/Cycles. At most, you can create a custom material and play around with the transparency and IOR values for refraction control. The only way I’ve been able to add any glimpse of colour is by using a PBR material, and assigning an environment texture for the base color and tweaking the % and some other settings. Probably with the right image, you can achieve the results you’re after.

w

The is essentially what we have done in our program with custom material with environmental reflections , the coupled with post affects, you can get close in color and realism. Its not the diamond color that is an issue. It is the refraction and light dispersion that i am trying to achieve. I have seem images where people say they use Rhino Cycles and have achieved a look light refraction passing through an object. Whether it was faked or actual pass-through, I’m not sure. This is why I asked to see if anyone has workarounds or knowhow.

The only dispersion effects from Cycles that I’ve seen are from Blender. Future versions of MG may need to bundle with a 3rd party renderer like GV used to do in the past.