Level 1 Training - Rail Revolve - faulty example

I’m going through the Level 1 Training Manual in preparation for a Rhino certification.

The example file Rail Revolve contains a misaligned rail curve and axis. The result of the rail revolve is a surface with a hole in the center. It looks wrong, obviously.

I don’t think finding this problem is part of the training and I think the example file should be fixed.

rail_revolve_bowl.3dm (1.9 MB)

PS: replaced the file with centered geometry

1 Like

Confirmed. Axis is 0.009 out of plane. Good catch! @mary

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be better to also move the whole sample geometry to the origin? In order to train users to build their geometry on the origin whenever possible?

1 Like

Hi Martin -

Thanks, I put this on the list as RH-66044.
-wim

Hi @martinsiegrist,
Thanks for the heads up here. @wim has create YT and I have reassigned it to DOC-284. It will be corrected in the next round of updates.

In the mean time, here are some suggestions, especially for those who teach Rhino:

1. Delete red line and use End pt osnap and Ortho to generate the Axis in the RailRevolve command The Line is not a required part of this model. In fact, this is actually the more realistic way to do the RailRevolve without the line. A Rhino user would not make a line and then do the RailRevolve. It is just not necessary. This is how present this exercise when teaching.

2. Turn on all the layers. You will see there is a second set of curve to make the bowl.
    The origin is between both set of curve.
    Wouldn’t it be better to also move the whole sample geometry to the origin?
    Since in many industries, like Architecture, it is not possible to model everything at the origin. It is also important to show that you can model away from the origin, as well.

3. At this point in the course we have already covered Cplanes and the Named Cplane panel. Save a NamedCplane for each of the RailRevolve examples.
    This way you will have each part at the origin of their own respective Cplanes.

4. Try this fixed file. Let me know if it works for you.
    Rail Revolve.3dm (2.8 MB)

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Fugier
McNeel Technical Support and Training
Seattle, WA

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the fixed file, the red line on the bowl example is still off. Nevermind.