Learning Grasshopper, Question

I am working my way through the ModeLab Foundations Manual. I am up to the meshes chapter, 1.6. My question is how do you learn about components that are not in the book? The right click help is a good start but not really enough to carry me into usage. Here’s my example: I’d like to learn how to use the “Nurbs Curve PWK” component. Searching the old and new forums has not been a direct solution. Is there another learning tool that I am unaware of?

Thanks!

Nurbs Curve PWK really requires an understanding of nurbs not really gh. It makes a nurbs curve from points, weights, and knots. Those are the 3 basic things that make up a nurbs curve: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-uniform_rational_B-spline

https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nurbs

Hi @Michael_Pryor,
Thank you for your reply. My question is more general than that and not specifically on the use of NC-PWK (although that is a current problem for me).

I am looking for information on driving the inputs of the NC-PWK component. I have reviewed the background information on what NURBS curves are, and that doesn’t really help the newbie, operate the component.

What I was hoping someone would tell me is: there is a collection of short videos, or a brief manual, for each component. Rhino has this as part of their help. It would be great as part of GH.

Thanks,
Peter

What I was hoping someone would tell me is: there is a collection of short videos, or a brief manual, for each component. Rhino has this as part of their help. It would be great as part of GH.

There is not, but in the case of Nurbs PWK how would this help? It would just tell you that it needs points, weights, and knots, or it would tell you about nurbs curves which you can find in the links I sent. Points = the location of control points, weights = the weight each point has on the curve shape, knot = the uniformity of the curvature. You can use those three parts of information as opposed to the other Nurbs Curve component which has preset interpolation types which set all that for you.

1 Like

Thank you for the help on the Nurbs PWK. I’ll give it a try tonight.

It’d be a great gig for an intern to start making those short videos (McNeel - hint, hint)

It’d be a great gig for an intern to start making those short videos (McNeel - hint, hint)

GH2 is in the works apparently, so it wouldn’t really make sense to invest time in that at this point for GH1 I think.

2 Likes