Learning Data tree operations FASTER !?

unhandled
tree

( Charles C.) #1

Hi guys,

Do you have any advices, or web site, or tricks to help me learn data tree operations faster ?

It always took me years to achieve simple data tree operations, like: replace all indexes in a list which are smaller then 5, or splinting branches, or subdivides list, etc… List management, data tree management is still quite unclear to me.

Do you know good wesites, not explaining step by step, but only showing pictures of data trees operations ?! Like planty of this :

Thank you :slight_smile:

( Charles C.) #2

no one ?

(Michael Pryor) #3

Best way to learn Gh. Go to reputable workshops and try to solve other peoples problems on this forum (even if you don’t post a reply, do it for yourself). Struggling through real problems is how you learn and if you don’t have enough problems to solve the forum is full of them.

I agree, @billytalent.exe . I’m getting quite proficient with Grasshopper and starting to take on quite complex projects and production tasks. However, I find I’m often stuck in the weeds managing trees and wasting a lot of time massaging data.

I’d love if there was some kind of little exercise pack with different problems to attempt with good solutions attached and maybe some useful tips or typical combinations. I know for example Python and Numpy have quite a few resources like that where you have exercises to attempt and have some expert solutions available.

I just found this video series by @DavidRutten : https://vimeopro.com/rhino/grasshopper-masterclass-with-david-rutten/video/79914769 I’m hoping to sink my teeth into it in the next few days.

@Michael_Pryor You bring up a good point. Being exposed to a variety of problems is a good way to learn. However, I find I solve these using methods I know work as far as tree management goes but aren’t necessarily efficient.

( Charles C.) #5

Thank you @Louis_Leblanc that’s exactly what I’m talking about, I didn’t know this series of videos !

And Yes I agree with you both @Michael_Pryor and @Louis_Leblanc, learning through practice and exercices is a really good way to learn. But learning only this way is long a not efficient. I think we need at least a basic guide to go througt all these data tree operations. And for now information about these operations is spread…

(Michael Pryor) #6

I think we need at least a basic guide to go througt all these data tree operations. And for now information about these operations is spread…

I think it is because there is not really a definitive way to use data trees. There are so many different ways to do things. One thing I used to do when I started was to keep solving a problem over and over to make it as compact as possible, many failed attempts but learned a lot from it as well.

A general rule of thumb is, if you have to copy/paste any sequence of components you are more than likely not being optimal in your approach. So take a second to think about how you can stream line it, and don’t be afraid to fail a few times in the process. A recent good example by @HS_Kim on this post: Multi-surface rotation thru point attraction where he turned this from another user:

into this compact (and more parametric) way here: